Raheem Sterling Cleared of Assault Charges After Incident with Ex-Girlfriend

Patrick Clarke@@_Pat_ClarkeCorrespondent ISeptember 20, 2013

Liverpool star Raheem Sterling has been cleared of assault charges in the wake of a recent incident with his ex-girlfriend in Huyton, Merseyside, England, according to a report from ITV.com.

With charges having been dropped, the 18-year-old winger will avoid any punishment and can refocus his attention on football and helping Liverpool chase titles in 2013-14.

According to ESPNFC.com, Sterling entered a not guilty plea in early August in regards to the charges that fell apart Friday, after his ex-girlfriend failed to bring legitimate evidence to the table.

Despite the lack of evidence and charges having been dropped, the negative press off the pitch certainly casts a shadow of disappointment on Sterling and the Reds, who have been sensational to start the 2013-14 campaign.

While it remains to be seen what sort of impact the off-the-pitch drama will have on Sterling moving forward, the club can only hope that the teenager's name will be accompanied by dominant play in the future and not investigations away from the game.

Sterling, who signed a five-year deal to remain at Anfield last December, has only scored three goals in just over 40 appearances with the Reds since making his debut in March 2012. But the promising young midfielder is sure to see his role with Brendan Rodgers' club expand as he continues to improve and gain vital experience. 

Even with superstar striker Luis Suarez missing time because of suspension, Liverpool have managed to pick up 10 points through their first four Premier League matches, jumping to the top of the league table through the first month of play.

A native of Kingston, Jamaica, Sterling grew up in London and has made several appearances for the England under-16, under-17, under-19 and under-21 squads in addition to earning a cap with the England senior national team last year.

 

Follow Bleacher Report Featured Columnist Patrick Clarke on Twitter. 

Follow _Pat_Clarke on Twitter

Related

    'See You Next Year!' — Ronaldo Backtracks on Exit Comments

    World Football logo
    World Football

    'See You Next Year!' — Ronaldo Backtracks on Exit Comments

    Gill Clark
    via Bleacher Report

    UEFA Announce UCL Squad of the Season

    World Football logo
    World Football

    UEFA Announce UCL Squad of the Season

    Gianni Verschueren
    via Bleacher Report

    Inter Admit They Can't Stop Icardi Leaving for a Big Club

    World Football logo
    World Football

    Inter Admit They Can't Stop Icardi Leaving for a Big Club

    Getty Images
    via Goal

    Salah Out 2 Weeks, Says Egypt Sports Minister

    World Football logo
    World Football

    Salah Out 2 Weeks, Says Egypt Sports Minister

    Gianni Verschueren
    via Bleacher Report