Floyd Mayweather Apologizes for Instagram Pic Bashing Oscar De La Hoya

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Floyd Mayweather Apologizes for Instagram Pic Bashing Oscar De La Hoya
Al Bello/Getty Images

Floyd Mayweather took to Instagram to apologize for a photograph that showed up on his page of the popular social media site earlier on Monday mocking Oscar De la Hoya and the fact that De la Hoya is in rehab for substance abuse.

Mayweather's apology read:

It's unfortunate that a stupid picture was posted to my Instagram account earlier today that was not posted by me or authorized by me to post.

As I clearly stated during my fight week and again in the post-fight press conference, I completely support Oscar De La Hoya and his family during this difficult time in his life, Although we have had our differences in the past, I stand by him unconditionally and would never personally disrespect him or anyone else who struggles with addiction.

I apologize to Oscar and his family for this posting. I wish him well and am rooting for him to win his fight, too.

I also apologize to all of my followers for this ridiculous post. I have no ill will towards anyone and have repeatedly stated that I only seek positivity in my life and for others.

The quote that was accompanied by a photo of De La Hoya with a headline that read: Meanwhile in Rehab" followed beneath by "Oscar: I gave Canelo the wrong blueprint I was high."

The quote was aimed at De La Hoya saying that he had the blueprint to beat Mayweather and he passed it along to Saul "Canelo" Alvarez to utilize in their bout on the Showtime reality show All Access that chronicled both fighters journey to the Sept. 14 bout.

Mayweather beat Alvarez by a majority decision to improve to 45-0, which would prove the blueprint that De La Hoya passed along to Alvarez to be flawed.

Mayweather claimed, via the Los Angeles Times, that the image was posted without his consent or knowledge and said he supports De la Hoya as he goes through rehab.

Leading up to this past Saturday night's mega-fight with Alvarez, Mayweather and De La Hoya traded shots at each other through the media. Although the two never said anything that had much shock value, the sense that there was some bad blood between the two was evident.

Sure, it could have been a publicity stunt to help sell the Mayweather-Canelo fight. Who knows? But nothing that was said was of the magnitude of the Instagram post that Mayweather's account broadcast to his over 1.79 million followers.

We may never know if in fact Mayweather put up the image himself or approved  the posting of the image by one of his handlers, but the fact it shines a negative light on the fighter right after he had put on a brilliant display of boxing in one of the biggest fight cards since 2007 is a shame.

Mayweather has been known to say, and do, some controversial things in the past, but as of late, he has been a more relaxed person, especially after serving a two-month stint (per ESPN) in the Clark County Detention Center in the summer of 2012 for a misdemeanor domestic battery case.

 

 

Load More Stories

Follow B/R on Facebook

Out of Bounds

Boxing

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.