Tiger Woods at BMW Championship 2013: Day 2 Recap and Twitter Reaction

Jesse ReedCorrespondent ISeptember 13, 2013

After opening the 2013 BMW Championship with a strong first round, Tiger Woods had some trouble on Friday and finished the day with a round of one-over par 72. 

Woods began Round 2 with a double-bogey on the first hole, falling six strokes behind leader Brandt Snedeker at the time, as noted by Golfweek Magazine: 

His early woes were compounded when it was discovered at the end of his round that Woods was assessed a two-stroke penalty on the first hole, as noted by Golf Channel's Tiger Tracker:

The PGA Tour released a video after the second round was over showing exactly what happened. Apparently, an amateur caught the infraction on camera and notified officials, as noted by Kyle Porter of CBSSports.com. 

The No. 1 player in the world bounced back nicely, however, on No. 3. He didn't hit a particularly good shot into the green, but Woods drained his 30-foot putt for the birdie to move back to four-under par in the tournament. 

Another frustrating bogey followed on No. 5 before Woods went on a three-hole-birdie run from holes seven through nine. 

He had an eagle chance on the par-five No. 8 but missed his putt by two feet. A tap-in birdie got Woods back to even-par for the day, and he followed it up with a gorgeous 17-foot birdie putt on No. 9 to complete the trifecta.

Unfortunately, the good times didn't last, as Woods' up-and-down round continued with two straight bogeys, as noted by GC's Tiger Tracker:

Always one of the most mentally tough golfers on tour, Woods bounced back with two pars and then birdied the par-five No. 14 to get back to even-par on the day. 

Two holes later, Woods finally got back to under-par on his round with a birdie on No. 16. After struggling with his putter all day long, as noted by GC Tiger Tracker, Woods drained his birdie putt to get back to fourth place at the time:

The hallmark of Woods' five-under-par opening round was his exceptional ball-striking. He struggled with the putter on Thursday as well, but he more than made up for it by giving himself multiple opportunities with close approach shots. 

But Friday showed a different golfer altogether. 

Woods did a decent job off the tee, but his approach shots went astray more often than not, which only further exasperated his putting woes. 

However, the indomitable champion found a way to conquer his emotions and rediscovered his swing in just enough time to finish his second round with a flourish. That flourish was stymied with news of the two-stroke penalty due to his infraction on the first hole.

Heading into the weekend he's now seven strokes off the lead, which is a large, but manageable margin. With a strong showing on Saturday, Woods will be right back in the thick of things heading into Sunday's final round. 

Follow me on Twitter @JesseReed78