The Massachusetts State Athletic Commission has revealed medical suspensions from UFC Fight Night 26, which took place in Boston on Aug. 17.
MMAJunkie.com reported the list of fighter suspensions Tuesday evening.
Most notably, heavyweight contender Travis Browne has been ruled out indefinitely due to shin and eye injuries. Browne can return to action when cleared by doctors, but a timetable for his recovery is not known right now.
Browne defeated Alistair Overeem at UFC Fight Night 26, which has put him toward the front of the line for a shot at the heavyweight championship. A title shot eliminator with Fabricio Werdum could have made sense, but the Brazilian may now get to wait for the winner of an upcoming title fight between Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos with news of Browne's injuries.
Though he was knocked out by Browne last month, Overeem will likely serve a shorter medical suspension. In fact, Overeem already has his next bout scheduled, a UFC 167 matchup with Frank Mir.
Michael Johnson and Cody Donovan joined Browne on the short list of fighters with indefinite suspensions. Johnson defeated Joe Lauzon in one of the biggest wins of his career at UFC Fight Night 26, while Cody Donovan suffered his first UFC loss against Ovince St. Preux.
Other major suspensions included opponents Diego Brandao and Daniel Pineda. Brandao defeated Pineda by decision at UFC Fight Night 26, but the Brazilian apparently suffered a right hand injury in the process.
Here is the full list of UFC Fight Night 26 medical suspensions:
- Travis Browne: suspended indefinitely or until cleared by orthopedist for left shin and ophthalmologist for eye injury
- Alistair Overeem: suspended 60 days no contact with 45 days for KO and forehead laceration
- Iuri Alcantara: suspended 30 days for laceration
- Mike Pyle: suspended 45 days with 30 days no contact for KO
- Michael Johnson: suspended indefinitely or until cleared by ophthalmologist
- Joe Lauzon: suspended 45 days with 30 days no contact
- Brad Pickett: suspended 60 days no contact with 45 days for facial contusions
- Max Holloway: suspended 30 days and needs clearance by orthopedist for right ankle
- Mike Brown: suspended 45 days with 30 days no contact for KO loss
- Diego Brando: suspended 180 days or until cleared by orthopedist for right hand
- Daniel Pineda: suspended 180 days or until cleared by orthopedist with 45 days no contact
- Cody Donovan: suspended indefinitely or until cleared for by orthopedist for left hand
Sean Smith is a B/R MMA Featured Columnist. Follow him on Twitter @SeanSmithMMA.