The movement in the transfer market this summer has seen an adjustment in the balance of power among the continent's top football leagues.
While the Bundesliga boasts the current European champions in Bayern Munich, the top two spots in these power rankings are occupied by the Spanish and English leagues, which have spent big over the summer to add to their already extensive talent pools.
Brilliant transfer market management from several Italian teams has seen Serie A increase its gravitas, and French clubs continue to splash the cash to bring star power to their league.
The following factors were taken into consideration when calculating the status of the top seven leagues in Europe following this summer's transfer campaign:
- The total accumulative worth of the league based on the values of all its individual players.
- The total transfer outlay by a country over the summer.
- UEFA's coefficient ranking system to assess the league's performance in recent seasons.
- How many teams from each country have a realistic chance of winning the Champions League.
- Influential players who have joined or left the league over the summer.