Justin K. Aller/Getty Images
The Panthers have their depth chart posted on their website. After removing the four players involved in Tuesday’s transactions, here’s what it looks like:
Post 75-man Depth Chart
WR: Steve Smith, Armanti Edwards, David Gettis, Brenton Bersin
LT: Jordan Gross, Nate Chandler, Garrett Chisolm
LG: Amini Silatolu, Chris Scott, Tori Mobley
C: Ryan Kalil, Jeff Byers, Brian Folkerts
RG: Garry Williams, Travelle Wharton, Hayworth Hicks
RT: Byron Bell, Patrick Brown
TE: Greg Olsen, Ben Hartsock, Brandon Williams, Dominique Curry, Zack Pianalto
WR: Brandon LaFell, Domenik Hixon, Ted Ginn, Taulib Ikharo, James Shaw
QB: Cam Newton, Derek Anderson, Jimmy Clausen
FB: Mike Tolbert, Richie Brockel
RB: DeAngelo Williams, Kenjon Barner, Armond Smith, Tauren Poole
LDE: Charles Johnson, Frank Alexander, Craig Roh
DT: Dwan Edwards, Kawann Short, Sione Fua
NT: Star Lotulelei, Colin Cole, Casey Walker
RDE: Greg Hardy, Mario Addison, Wes Horton
SLB: Thomas Davis, A.J. Klein, Jason Williams
MLB: Luke Kuechly, Chase Blackburn, Ben Jacobs
WLB: Jon Beason, Jordan Senn, Doug Hogue
LCB: Drayton Florence, Josh Thomas, James Dockery
RCB: Captain Munnerlyn, Josh Norman, D.J. Moore, Melvin White
SS: Mike Mitchell, D.J. Campbell, Robert Lester, Anderson Russell
FS: Charles Godfrey, Haruki Nakamura, Colin Jones
K: Graham Gano
P: Brad Nortman
KO: Graham Gano
H: Brad Nortman
PR: Ted Ginn, Armanti Edwards
KR: Ted Ginn, Kenjon Barner, Armond Smith
LS: J.J. Jansen
Previewing 53-man Roster Cuts
Playing general manager is typically fun, but remember only Dave Gettleman has the scoop, and he's not talking just yet. Here's a look at how the Panthers might get to 53 players.
- Jimmy Clausen, QB: There’s just no need for three quarterbacks on this roster and there’s no qualms about Clausen being the odd man out.
- Armond Smith, RB: Smith didn’t do himself any favors by getting ejected in the Baltimore game.
- Dominique Curry, TE: With three tight ends on the roster there is no room for Curry.
- Zack Pianalto, TE: The same goes for Pianalto that went for Curry. Pianalto only played 11 snaps during the Panthers first three preseason games.
- Brenton Bersin, WR: Bersin got to play a bit, but didn't do enough on offense or special teams to make a difference.
- Taulib Ikharo, WR: Ikharo was in on just 10 offensive plays for the Panthers during their first three preseason games.
- James Shaw, WR: Shaw was in on just four offensive plays during the first three preseason games. He's not done enough to move up the depth chart.
- Nate Chandler, T: Chandler had trouble run blocking, which isn't a good problem to have with one of the team's main running backs starting the season on the PUP list.
- Garrett Chisolm, T: Chisolm played just 13 preseason snaps and had trouble in both run blocking and pass protection.
- Tori Mobley, G: Played just 17 snaps on offense in three preseason games and isn't one of the four guards or hybrid linemen that'll make it.
- Brian Folkerts, C: The Panthers only need two centers on the roster and Kalil and Byers are the guys.
- Patrick Brown, T: Brown played just 36 preseason snaps and hasn't made an impression on the coaching staff to warrant a roster spot.
- Hayworth Hicks, G: Hicks showed vulnerabilities in both pass protection and run blocking in preseason games.
- Craig Roh, DE: Roh didn't show the pass-rush skills needed to make a difference on the Panthers roster.
- Casey Walker, DT: Walker didn't impress in run stopping and played just 47 snaps on defense in three preseason games.
- Doug Hogue, LB: Hogue got just seven snaps through three preseason games. That's enough to say he's not making this team.
- Ben Jacobs, LB: Jacobs is at a logjam position in the middle of the defense and didn't differentiate himself at all.
- D.J. Campbell, S: Campbell had trouble in coverage and only made four tackles in three preseason games.
- Robert Lester, S: Lester played in just 26 preseason snaps for the Panthers and didn't register any stats.
- Anderson Russell, S: Russell played just 37 preseason snaps and hasn't shown a "wow" factor yet.
- Melvin White, CB: White had some trouble in coverage and was penalized in his limited time on the field during preseason action.