Alex Grimm/Getty Images
Could Given really be about to sign for Liverpool, as the Mail claims?
The Daily Mirror’s David Anderson reports that Liverpool have hit a major stumbling block in their efforts to sign a new defender this summer following the recent long-term injuries picked by both centre-backs Kolo Toure and Sebastian Coates.
The Reds had been hoping to sign either Sporting Lisbon’s Tiago Ilori or Paris Saint-Germain’s Mamadou Sakho, however, they have been quoted prices of £17 million and £13m respectively for the central defenders.
And with both players out of contract at their clubs next summer, the Merseysiders are said to be unwilling to meet those valuations of the duo.
Meanwhile, the Daily Mail’s North-West Correspondent Dominic King says that Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is preparing a shock move for unwanted Aston Villa goalkeeper Shay Given to act as back-up to first-choice shot-stopper Simon Mignolet at Anfield this season.
The veteran Republic of Ireland international has been told by Villa boss Paul Lambert that he no longer has a future at Villa Park and can find a new club, with the Reds hoping to be able to finalise a deal for the 37-year-old before the transfer window closes on Sept 2.
And finally, the Mail’s John Edwards claims that long-running Liverpool defensive target Toby Alderweireld will reject the chance to join the Reds this season in favour of moving to Liga outfit Atletico de Madrid instead.
The in-demand Belgium international, who only has a year left on his current contract with Eredivisie champions Ajax, wants to play in the UEFA Champions League and as such, will sign for Diego Simeone’s Liga high flyers before the Sept 2 cut-off date.