Manchester City Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of August 26
Michael Regan/Getty Images
There is one week to go until the summer transfer window officially slams shut, and there is every chance that Man City will be active before then in one way or another.
Sunday's defeat to Cardiff City flagged up some of the defensive frailties that dogged Manuel Pellegrini's predecessor Roberto Mancini last season, and with the Blues having only brought in attacking talent so far this summer it looks like the back line will be the area they will want to bolster.
But there have been rumours about players heading out of the exit door as well, so here's a latest roundup of potential ins and outs.
David Rogers/Getty Images
One player said to be heading out of the club is Swedish striker John Guidetti. The 21-year-old is said to be on the radar of former City boss Mark Hughes, now residing down the A34 at Stoke City.
The Mirror claims that the Potters are lining up a £5.5m move for Guidetti, who has made just one senior appearance for City, which came in a League Cup tie at West Brom in September, 2010.
Guidetti joined City's Academy in 2008, when Sven-Goran Eriksson was in charge of the senior side, and has been in the file marked "promising and highly rated" almost ever since. His best spell was a season-long loan at Feyenoord in 2011-12 that yielded 20 goals, but hopes he would press for a place at City last term were dashed in a season ruined by injury and illness.
Gallo Images/Getty Images
Gareth Barry's days at City seem to be numbered, with the midfielder having not made the bench for either of City's two matches so far.
At 32 and into the final year of his contract, Barry does not appear to have much of a future at the club four years after joining from Aston Villa, but Everton and Arsenal are in the mix to acquire his services according to the Daily Express' James Dickinson.
Bleacher Report's Rob Pollard has also detailed why a move would suit Barry, who gave quiet but effective service in the campaigns that brought the FA Cup and then the Premier League to the blue half of Manchester.
Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images
Vincent Kompany's absence with a groin injury for the defeat to Cardiff City put the Blues' shortcomings in central defence into sharp focus, but Atletico Madrid's Martin Demichelis is one name being touted to shore things up.
The Guardian's Jamie Jackson, a regular on the City beat, says the Spanish club want £4.26 million for the 32-year-old Argentine.
At his age, Demichelis would represent a short-term solution, but City's problems defending corners in south Wales on Sunday mean they could be looking for urgent answers.
Martin Rose/Getty Images
One other target for City in defence is Paris St-Germain's Mamadou Sakho, according to Sky Sports.
Sakho would cost more than Demichelis, with £8 million the reported fee, but he represents better value at 23 years old.
The France international has a year on his contract, but with PSG splashing out his chances may be limited with the French champions. But with Arsenal, AC Milan and Barca also linked, this sounds like a speculative one as far as City are concerned.
Gallo Images/Getty Images
Second in the pecking order at right-back to the excellent Pablo Zabaleta, Micah Richards was linked with a move away from City by the Daily Star, although this one seems to stem from Arsenal's need for reinforcements, with City said to be unwilling to let their man go.
Events at Cardiff may have put this one to bed. With Zabaleta at fault for a couple of goals, Richards may get a chance to re-establish himself in the City side sooner than expected.
With a Champions League campaign to deal with in addition to the Premier League, Pellegrini is likely to want two of everything in all positions. Even though 25-year-old Richards slipped behind Zabaleta due to injury last term, there is a good chance the new boss at City could opt for him against Hull next Saturday.