Quinton Coples Injury: Updates on Jets LB's Ankle
It looks like Quinton Coples' breakout season is going to have to wait.
The New York Jets' 23-year-old linebacker injured his ankle during the Aug. 17 preseason contest with the Jacksonville Jaguars, and according to the team's official statement, he will be out indefinitely:
Linebacker Quinton Coples suffered an injured right ankle Saturday night in the Jets' 37-13 win over Jacksonville at MetLife Stadium. Coples will undergo a medical procedure on Tuesday. He will miss the remainder of the preseason and is out indefinitely.
Coples was out for the first two weeks of the season. He is active for Week 3.
UPDATE: Sunday, Sept. 22
From the New York Jets:
LB Quinton Coples is active for the first time this season. Jets' only lineup change: Damon Harrison at NT for Kenrick Ellis.— New York Jets (@nyjets) September 22, 2013
UPDATE: Wednesday, Sept. 11
From Ben Volin of The Boston Globe:
Jets list Quinton Coples, Jeremy Kerley and Mark Sanchez as Out, and list a whopping 18 players as Probable— Ben Volin (@BenVolin) September 11, 2013
UPDATE: Sunday, Sept. 8
From Eric Allen of NewYorkJets.com:
Only players officially listed as out for Jets are Mark Sanchez (shoulder) and Quinton Coples (ankle).— Eric Allen (@eallenjets) September 6, 2013
UPDATE: Tuesday, Aug. 20
Seth Walder of the New York Daily News confirms Quinton Coples will miss the remainder of the preseason and passes along a statement from teammate Sheldon Richardson regarding Coples' return to the Jets:
The young pass rusher suffered a hairline fracture in his ankle against the Jags and will have a 'medical procedure' on Tuesday, though the Jets wouldn’t specify beyond that. He’s out at least for the preseason and beyond that indefinitely.
DT Sheldon Richardson, who spoke to Coples on Monday morning, told the Daily News that Coples was hoping to return for the opener against the Bucs on Sept. 8 or against New England in Week 2. 'That’s what he’s shooting for,' Richardson said.
It's difficult to judge whether or not it's time for Jets fans to reach for that panic button quite yet because "indefinitely" can mean a number of different things in terms of severity.
For now, the Jets will likely move forward with free-agent signing Antwan Barnes stepping in for Coples at outside linebacker.
Last season with the San Diego Chargers, the 28-year-old tallied just three sacks in 11 games, but he is just a year removed from tallying an impressive 11 quarterback takedowns in 2011.
Still, this undoubtedly represents a downgrade for Rex Ryan's defense.
Muhammad Wilkerson, Kenrick Ellis and Sheldon Richardson give the Jets an extremely formidable front three, but the team needs to find some pressure around the edge.
Coples was expected to provide just that.
Although he had just 5.5 sacks in 16 games a rookie last year, the No. 16 overall pick in the 2012 draft finished the season on a high note, recording 3.5 sacks in the Jets' last four games. Combine that momentum with a versatile, athletic skill set and a move from defensive end to linebacker, and it's clear why there was so much hype surrounding the youngster.
As such, this injury comes as a brutal blow to a Jets team that will need its defense to be elite this season.
The Jets open the regular season on Sunday, Sept. 8—just over three weeks after the date of Coples' injury—against Darrelle Revis and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?