Wayne Rooney Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of August 19

Frank WagnerCorrespondent IAugust 19, 2013

Wayne Rooney Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of August 19

0 of 4

    With the transfer window quickly ticking to a close, the status of Wayne Rooney at Manchester United is still unclear.

    The Englishman has been all the buzz this summer, as rumors of his discontent and an impending transfer away from Old Trafford have been rampant.

    However, Rooney's situation has not become any clearer through the summer, as no deal has been done.

    Thankfully, this transfer saga will end at some point over the next two weeks, as Rooney will either move to a different club or the transfer window will slam shut before a deal can be done.

    Where will Rooney be playing come September?

    Check back here as this article will have frequent updates on the latest news and rumours surrounding the United striker.

    LAST UPDATE: Tuesday, August 20

Jose Mourinho Confirms Chelsea Will Make Third Bid

1 of 4

    On Tuesday, Jose Mourinho confirmed that the club will make at least one more bid for Wayne Rooney before the close of the transfer window on September 2.

    "You try, because nobody forbids you to try," Mourinho said, according to The Guardian.

    "When you think that you'd like to have one player and the market is open and the official bids are not forbidden, official bids are always accepted in an ethical way. The player's owners they can do exactly what we did in relation to David Luiz and Barcelona."

    The Portuguese has back-up plans in place, however, should United remain resistant to the possibility of selling Rooney in this transfer window. ESPNFC believes the club's two alternative options are Samuel Eto'o and Galatasaray's Buruk Yilmaz. Miguel Delaney writes:

    When questioned on whether he has a "plan B", Mourinho quickly stated "and C". Those are understood to be Eto’o and Yilmaz.

    He said: "We trust a lot in our project. But we have conditions to try and improve our team with one more player and we will try until the end."

     

Chelsea to Launch Final Bid?

2 of 4

    According to ESPN, Chelsea is preparing a final bid for Wayne Rooney before the transfer window shuts.

    The offer would be in the vicinity of £40 million and is supposedly going to be made at some point over the next two days.

    The Blues have already had two bids for Rooney rejected by United, the second for a reported £30 million.

    However, Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho seems undeterred by the setbacks and has continually made clear his intentions to sign Rooney, as this article (subscription) from The Sun's Rob Beasley reports.

    This huge increase in price will, if nothing else, make Manchester United think.

    Could this number be too good for United to pass up, forcing the Red Devils to let Rooney leave Old Trafford?

Wayne Rooney Requests More Playing Time

3 of 4

    According to Jason Burt at The Telegraph, Rooney has told Manchester United manager David Moyes that he needs more playing time to get back to top form.

    Rooney did not start United's opening match with Swansea City on Saturday, instead coming on as a substitute for barely half an hour.

    However, the striker got a start for England in their friendly against Scotland last week despite the slight hamstring injury that he has been dealing with.

    This news could be a good sign for United fans that want to see Rooney stay at the club.

    While The Guardian's Daniel Taylor reported earlier this month that the Englishman considered requesting a transfer to Chelsea, asking for more playing time doesn't seem like a short-term request.

    This would suggest that Rooney foresees being at Old Trafford for at least a few more weeks, which would mean he would stay through the close of the transfer window.

    Rooney could be starting to lay down groundwork for a more long-term stay in Manchester.

    After all, if he were still hell-bent on getting a transfer deal done, thatand not his playing time at Old Trafford—would be his top priority and the only thing he would discuss with Moyes.

Wayne Rooney Gets Fan Support Against Swansea

4 of 4

    Apparently, Wayne Rooney has yet to isolate every Manchester United supporter.

    In the Red Devils' opening-day 4-1 victory over Swansea City at the Liberty Stadium, audible chants of "Rooney, Rooney" could be heard as the Englishman made his way into the match as a substitute in the 62nd minute.

    In some respects, the warm welcome from the die-hard supporters who made the trip to Wales should come as a bit of a surprise, what with Rooney's reported transfer request this summer.

    However, the reaction makes sense given the quality the 27-year-old possesses. After all, he was able to aid the cause with two assists and help put the match out of reach in his half hour on the pitch.

    It was a small gesture from the United supporters, but one that may not have touched Rooney, who walked off after the match without acknowledging the road supporters.

    Perhaps it was unintentional carelessness, but the cold shoulder Rooney gave the fans who had just showed him support won't help quell the speculation of his imminent departure.