Jose Mourinho has made signing Wayne Rooney his No. 1 priority this summer, as reported by the BBC. There is no doubt that the England international would bring a proven track record to West London, but there is still a feeling that Mourinho’s single-minded pursuit of the striker is somewhat misguided.
David Moyes has made it clear that Rooney will serve as a backup to Robin van Persie at Old Trafford next season, and the Daily Mail reported the Scot saying that Rooney is not for sale at any price. With the shadow of Sir Alex Ferguson still looming large over his head, Moyes is unlikely to budge lest it undermine his authority so early on in his tenure at one of the biggest clubs in the world.
This leaves Chelsea just over two weeks to scout and sign another top striker before the window closes on September 2.
The idea of Samuel Eto’o joining from Anzhi Makhachkala seems to be gathering pace, with Italy's Panorama reporting that the Camroonian's agent told them that negotiations between he and Chelsea are at an advanced stage (via ESPNFC). While there is no doubt that Eto'o would bring a wealth of experience and firepower to the side, his age and wages present an enormous hurdle, and whatever the rhetoric regarding his desire to reunite with Mourinho, he will be useful for two seasons at the very most.
This leaves the Blues in a bit of a pickle. If all the talk of building for the future is to be believed, Mourinho could do worse than turning his attentions back to Manchester, albeit to the blue half.
Manchester City may have sold Carlos Tevez to Juventus for £12 million, but they have landed Alvaro Negredo, Stevan Jovetic and Jesus Navas for a combined £90 million. With Financial Fair Play limiting overall losses for the 2013-14 season to £37.5 million, a bid of £25 million could be enough to prise Edin Dzeko away from the Citizens.
Dzeko was City’s top scorer in the Premier League last season with 14 goals in 32 appearances, half of which came from the bench. He was said to be unhappy with his super-sub label and was one of the favourites to leave he club when the summer transfer window opened.
The arrival of Manuel Pellegrini seems to have reassured him of his place in the squad, with the Chilean telling Sky Sports (via ESPNFC): "I have trust in [Dzeko]." But with competition from the two new signings and the ever present Sergio Aguero, the Bosnian could again find himself limited to cameo appearances.
A move to Chelsea would see him become the first-choice striker, with Romelu Lukaku a close second. His height and finishing prowess would balance well with the diminutive attacking midfielders, and at 27 years of age he offers more longevity than the 32-year-old Eto’o.
While Dzeko himself seems to have had a change of heart regarding his future at City, a move to work with Mourinho at Chelsea and the fresh start it would provide could tempt him to switch to a darker shade of blue.
If The Happy One follows up the interest that The Telegraph’s Jeremy Wilson reported earlier this summer with a concrete offer, it could yet make the difference in the Premier League title race come May 9.