Summer Transfer Gossip: Luis Suarez, David Luiz, Wayne Rooney, Gareth Bale
Luis Suarez has finally broken his silence and confirmed he wants out of Liverpool. But are the Reds prepared to play ball?
Liverpool are also working on recruits, and there's an update on target Diego Costa.
Chelsea are normally big players in the transfer market, but it's the Blues who are having to fend off interest from Barcelona in one of their players.
It's another busy day of transfer talk, but we have all the angles covered in Wednesday's edition of the Summer Transfer Gossip.
Luis Suarez Wants Out, Owner John W Henry Says No
There's been an a lot of talk about Liverpool striker Luis Suarez this summer, but not a lot from Suarez himself.
That all changed overnight, with the Uruguayan speaking to a host of media outlets and making it pretty clear he wants out of Liverpool.
It had been suggested through most of the summer that Suarez felt Liverpool had gone back on their word to let him leave, and that is pretty much what the forward said.
According to The Guardian's Sid Lowe, Suarez said:
Last year I had the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the understanding that if we failed to qualify for the Champions League the following season I'd be allowed to go.
I gave absolutely everything last season but it was not enough to give us a top-four finish—now all I want is for Liverpool to honour our agreement.
I spoke with (Liverpool manager) Brendan Rodgers several times and he told me: 'Stay another season, and you have my word if we don't make it then I will personally make sure that you can leave.'
Suarez has been strongly linked with Arsenal, who have had bids rejected. The forward did not name the side he has the chance to move to, but he confirmed they can offer him Champions League football, which Arsenal can.
“My priority is Champions League football,” Suarez said. “This is about me doing what is right for my career at this moment in time.”
Liverpool have stood firm so far, and owner John W. Henry has reiterated his desire to keep the forward.
From a reception at the American embassy in Oslo, David Lyons of the Daily Star quotes Henry as saying: "We have no intention of selling one of the best players in the world to one of our rivals. We like to buy stuff, not sell."
Liverpool Warned off Diego Costa
Liverpool have been warned by Atletico Madrid that striker Diego Costa is not for sale, writes the Daily Star’s Kevin Francis.
Liverpool have targeted the powerful striker as a potential summer recruit, but Atletico are not interested in any deal, says Francis.
In Francis’ piece, he quotes Atletico’s sporting director Jose Luis Caminero as saying:
He is going to continue with us. Diego Costa is a very important player for Atletico and we value him very highly.
We are convinced this year he is going to score a lot of goals with Atletico. He is an idol for the fans.
Atletico sold striker Radamel Falcao to Monaco for £45 million earlier this summer.
Barcelona Fly in for David Luiz
Chelsea can profit to the tune of some £14 million on David Luiz, according to a report from The Sun's Charlie Wyett and Shaun Custis (subscription required) who say Barcelona are poised to make a £35 million bid.
Barca are in the hunt for a central defender, and Luiz has been linked with a move for a number of weeks, with The Sun claiming a bid could finally be tabled this week.
Custis and Wyett suggest Barca's chances of striking a deal have improved after Luiz, who Chelsea signed for £21 million a couple of seasons ago, was withdrawn from their game with Real Madrid. which is due to take place in the early hours of Thursday.
Wyett and Custis claim "the Spanish giants, who will offer a number of add-ons in their bid, are desperate to land the talented defender."
The Daily Mail’s David Kent takes the story on a shade by suggesting Barcelona football director Raul Sanllehi has travelled to London to thrash out a deal. Kent says Chelsea want £40 million for the defender.
Tottenham's Sir Keith Mills Admits Gareth Bale Could Go
Tottenham have been steadfast in their determination to fend off interest from Real Madrid in Gareth Bale, but their resolve may be weakening after a Spurs director said it is hard to keep players who want to leave.
Bale is Real's top summer transfer target and there is talk, courtesy of Ben Rumsby of The Telegraph, that the Spanish giants could go as high as £100 million to land the Welsh star.
Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas stated at the weekend that Bale would not be sold this summer, but Spurs director Sir Keith Mills has a slightly different view on things.
Mills told the Evening Standard, "If a player is desperate to leave, it’s very difficult to force him to stay. We've seen it in other clubs. Even if he has a contract, you can't force somebody to play for you."
Wayne Rooney Open to Move Abroad
It wouldn't feel the same to have a gossip roundup without a word or two about Wayne Rooney’s Manchester United future.
It was revealed on Tuesday that a shoulder injury had forced Rooney out of United's friendly trip to Sweden.
The Daily Mail’s Ian Ladyman and Sami Mokbel reiterate that Rooney wants out of Old Trafford, but they claim that he will consider a move abroad if he cannot secure a transfer to Chelsea.
Ladyman and Mokbel are insistent that United do not want to sell Rooney to a Premier League rival, which has prompted the England striker to consider a move to the Continent.
The pair write:
It is understood that Rooney is not so desperate to leave that he will simply go anywhere but he would happily move his wife Colleen and two young children to the continent if a good offer meant he could escape what he now sees a pretty intolerable situation at Old Trafford.
Bits and Pieces: Paul Scharner, Jermain Defoe, Ciprian Marica
West Brom are on the brink of signing Scott Sinclair from Manchester City, writes The Sun's Graham Hill (subscription required). Hill says City have sanctioned a season-long loan for a player who has three more years to run on his contract.
After signing Yaya Sanogo on a free transfer earlier in the summer, Arsenal are ready to dip into the bargain basement once again. Romanian striker Ciprian Marica is available on a Bosman transfer, and his agent claims he is in talks with the Gunners, writes the Daily Mail's Simon Jones.
His agent, Giovani Becali, said: "He is close to Arsenal, we'll see this week. Marica is a very good striker, a Romanian national player who has great experience."
Hull are in talks with Bundesliga side Hamburg about a move for former Wigan captain Paul Scharner, according to The Sun (subscription required). The Daily Mail’s Graeme Yorke has a slightly different take on Scharner, as he claims the Austrian defender has made it clear he wants to remain in Germany for family reasons and will fight any transfer.
Besiktas have trained their sights on Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe after missing out on his teammate Emmanuel Adebayor, says the Metro.
Also in the Metro, there is a report that states Arsenal have handed a trial to Angers' Moroccan-born midfielder Alharbi El Jadeyaoui.