Manchester United Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of August 5
Every week these transfer trackers monitor the latest in speculation surrounding Manchester United.
Some of the biggest names in world football have been linked with a move to Old Trafford. The only problem is, nothing has happened yet.
One can excuse new manager David Moyes some naivety in the transfer window, but second is not an option at the biggest club in the world.
Here is the latest in transfer rumours from the week beginning August 5. Stay tuned for updates until Sunday.
Rooney Snubs Moyes on Facebook
Wayne Rooney's transfer stand-off with Manchester United shows no signs of ending.
On Friday, the forward used his official Facebook account to thank England manager Roy Hodgson for his support, publicly snubbing Red Devils boss David Moyes.
According to the Daily Mail, "The striker, who has been the subject of a £30million offer from Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, has grown increasingly frustrated during the past few days and made his feelings clear."
Many expect Rooney to submit an official transfer request next week.
Chelsea's £25m Wayne Rooney Offer Ripped
Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has made no secret of his desire to lure Wayne Rooney to Stamford Bridge this summer.
The Blues have already bid £25 million for the wantaway forward but have been knocked back by the Red Devils.
United legend Bryan Robson discussed the transfer saga with talkSPORT on Friday, and was unequivocal in his disdain for the offer (h/t The Mirror).
"The thing that makes me laugh is I've been told it [the latest bid] is £25 million to £30 million. For Wayne Rooney? A 27-year-old who is probably in the top six strikers in the world?" he said.
Rooney to Look Abroad If Chelsea Move Fails
According to reports, Wayne Rooney continues to alienate just about every Manchester United fan.
The forward wants out of Old Trafford. Chelsea may be his desired destination, but the Daily Mail claims he is willing to consider other options.
"Wayne Rooney will look to move abroad if he cannot engineer a move to Chelsea this summer," the report states.
"The Manchester United striker is expected to submit a formal transfer request this week in a bid to facilitate a £30 million transfer to Stamford Bridge."
With less than two weeks remaining until the start of the Premier League season, the England international's timing could not be worse.
Fellaini the Backup Plan for Moyes
Manchester United's bid to sign Barcelona attacking midfielder Cesc Fabregas seems to have reached a dead-end.
United boss David Moyes is fast running out of time to make a significant signing this summer.
British tabloid The Mirror claims "United boss Moyes has returned to Everton, the club he left for the champions last month, for the Belgium midfielder who has had a £23.5 million buy-out clause allowing him to move to a Champions League club this summer."
"However, it is understood that United's valuation is not as high as that, so the clubs could be set for a tussle over his services even though Moyes is desperate to strengthen his midfield."
United Stars Want Rooney Gone
Manchester United fans may have lost patience with Wayne Rooney, but now it seems those in the Old Trafford dressing room have too.
A report in the Daily Star claims "Senior United players have lost patience after the England star yesterday told Moyes he wants to join Chelsea."
"Starsport understands the manager has decided to dump wantaway Rooney on the sidelines after several United stars told the Scot they didn’t want him in the team."
With the start of the Premier League season weeks away, everyone involved in the on-going saga will hope for a speedy resolution.
Ronaldo to Stay at Real
Fans of Manchester United would love to see a return for the club legend who first made a name for himself at Old Trafford.
However, reports in Spanish media claim that the forward has assured Los Blancos he intends to remain in Madrid.
According to The Mirror "Spanish media claim Ronaldo met with Perez during Real Madrid's US tour in Beverley Hills and promised that he will stay with the club".
The report states that Ronaldo is excited about the prospect of playing with Gareth Bale.
United Admit Defeat in Pursuit of Fabregas
The Cesc Fabregas-to-Manchester United transfer saga has been a painful one to watch for fans of the Red Devils.
David Moyes never really looked like getting his top target and has finally admitted defeat.
This according to Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta, who told Sport "Manchester United are interested in the player, but it's also true that they understand our position of not wanting to sell" (h/t Sky Sports).
"They have renounced his signing. We aren't going to sell him."
Moyes' attention must now turn to new targets.
Rooney to Submit Transfer Request
One of the most disheartening weeks of Manchester United transfer gossip continues with news that Wayne Rooney is still resolved to leave Old Trafford this summer.
A report in the Daily Mail claims that the English forward will reiterate his wantaway intentions to David Moyes in the next few days.
"Wayne Rooney will submit a formal transfer request after Chelsea last night had a second bid for the striker rejected," it claims.
"It is understood they will not go higher than £30 million for Rooney, who reiterated his determination to quit Old Trafford during crunch talks with United manager David Moyes over the weekend."
If Rooney does submit a formal transfer request it will be difficult for Moyes to hold on to the forward.
United to Turn to Schweinsteiger
With Manchester United's bid for Cesc Fabregas looking doomed, the club may switch its attentions to another world class midfielder.
That player is Bayern Munich powerhouse Bastian Schweinsteiger.
According to British tabloid The Mirror, "The Premier League champions have become aware of whispers in Germany that Schweinsteiger may not fit into Pep Guardiola’s new Bavarian blueprint."
"[Any] offer that is powered by the belief that the 29-year-old wants to move to Old Trafford".
While the 29-year-old would be a perfect fit at Old Trafford, it's still difficult to see how Moyes would be able to tempt Bayern into selling one of their most valuable assets.
Rooney Wants to Stay at United
In a report that contradicts the aforementioned story from the Daily Mail, Wayne Rooney may yet stay at Old Trafford.
Daily Star writer Steve Millar claims "Rooney at no time this summer asked United for a transfer and, I understand, is hurt by constant talk that he is determined to leave Old Trafford. He does not want to leave."
"The United fans' reaction is not thought to be a major issue for Rooney who is ready to shrug off any ill-conceived shows of dissent."
The report is an interesting one, though fans will take it with a grain of salt until the truth is revealed by the man himself.