Bleacher Report's College Football BCS Era Trivia Challenge
Get your pencils out college football fans, it’s time for a pop quiz!
What better way to honor the final season of the BCS than by posing 21 questions that cover the great age of the crystal pigskin?
It’s a perplexing set of challenges bound together by their association with the period of college football from 1998 to 2012.
And, just so nobody thinks that there won’t be a final score, here’s the scale to see how you measure up.
0 to 5 questions correct: Sun Belt member
6 to 10 questions correct: Conference USA member
11 to 15 questions correct: ACC member
16 to 20 questions correct: SEC member
21 questions correct: You’re a Nick Saban Fellow of College Football Trivia
- Which BCS team has the best overall record in the BCS era?
- Which quarterback has the highest passer efficiency rating in a single season during the BCS era (minimum 15 attempts)?
- Which BCS team has the best record at home during the BCS era?
- Name the three FBS head coaches who have stayed at the same job during the entire BCS era?
- Which BCS team has the worst record against FCS opponents in the BCS era?
- Which conference has the best record in BCS bowl games (10 or more appearances)?
- How many BCS bowl games has Notre Dame won?
- Which conference won the most Heisman Trophies during the BCS era?
- Which program has won more Big 12 titles in the BCS era, Oklahoma or Texas?
- Which team has made the most BCS bowl appearances (vacated games count)?
- Which team finished with the lowest ranking the season after winning the BCS title?
- Which player recorded the most sacks in a single season in the BCS era?
- Which team has the best average recruiting class ranking in the BCS era?
- Name the two conferences that have never sent a team to a BCS bowl.
- Which teams finished the season unranked the year before winning a BCS title?
- Which conference has the worst BCS bowl record (more than 10 appearances)?
- Which FBS kicker had the highest percentage of field goals made in a career in the BCS era (minimum 55 attempts)?
- Name the five active FBS head coaches who played college football (at any level) during the BCS era.
- Which player was responsible for the most TDs in the BCS era?
- What was the highest television rating for a BCS title game?
- What was the biggest upset in BCS bowl history?
1. Best BCS Record in the BCS Era?
Answer: Ohio State.
The Buckeyes went 149-40 (78.8 percent) from 1998 to 2012.
Coming in second was Oklahoma (78.2 percent), followed by Texas (77.7 percent) and Virginia Tech (75.5 percent).
2. QB with the Highest Single-Season Passer Rating?
Answer: Russell Wilson, Wisconsin.
Wilson went 225-of-309 for 3,175 yards, 33 touchdowns and four interceptions in 2011, earning him a passer rating of 191.78. Wilson’s mark is also an NCAA record.
3. BCS Team with Best Home Record?
The Sooners went 84-7 (92.3 percent) at home from 1998 to 2012.
Coming in second is Ohio State (85.7 percent), followed by Oregon (84.3 percent) and Florida (83.6 percent).
4. The Three FBS Head Coaches at Same Job Since 1998?
Answer: Mack Brown at Texas, Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech and Larry Blakeney at Troy.
Brown was hired in 1998 (the first year of the BCS), Beamer was hired in 1987, and Blakeney was hired in 1991.
Blakeney coached Troy for one season in D-II (1991) and nine seasons in the FCS (1992–2000) before the Trojans became FBS members in 2001.
5. BCS Team with Worst Record Against the FCS?
The Buffaloes are 2-2 when facing FCS foes since 1998. Wins were over Utah State in 1998 and Eastern Washington in 2008. Losses were to Montana State in 2006 and Cal State–Sacramento in 2012.
6. Conference with Best Record in BCS Bowls?
Answer: The SEC.
The SEC is 17-8, a winning percentage 68 percent in BCS games. The Pac-12 comes in second with 65 percent (13-7), followed by the Big East (now American Athletic) with 53 percent (8-7).
The SEC, Pac-12 and Big East are the only three conferences that have participated in 10 or more BCS bowls and posted a winning record.
7. Number of BCS Bowl Wins by Notre Dame?
Notre Dame is 0-4 in BCS play. The Irish lost the 2001 Fiesta, the 2006 Fiesta, the 2007 Sugar and the 2013 BCS title game.
8. Conference with Most Heisman Trophies?
Answer: The Big 12 with five.
The Big 12 BCS-era Heisman winners are Ricky Williams from Texas in 1998, Eric Crouch from Nebraska in 2001 (the Huskers were in the Big 12 through 2010), Jason White from Oklahoma in 2003, Sam Bradford from Oklahoma in 2008 and Robert Griffin III from Baylor in 2011.
9. Does Oklahoma or Texas Have More Big 12 Titles?
The Sooners have seven conference titles since 1998 while the Longhorns have two.
Only five teams other than Oklahoma or Texas have won or shared the Big 12 title in the BCS era. Texas A&M won in 1998, Nebraska won in 1999, Colorado won in 2001, Kansas State won in 2003 and shared in 2012 and Oklahoma State won in 2011.
10. Which Team Has the Most BCS Bowl Appearances
Answer: Ohio State with nine.
The Buckeyes' nine BCS appearances are the 1999 Sugar, the 2003 Fiesta, the 2004 Fiesta, the 2006 Fiesta, the 2007 BCS National Championship, the 2008 BCS National Championship, the 2009 Fiesta, the 2010 Rose and the 2011 Sugar.
Ohio State is 6-3 (66.7 percent) in BCS bowl play.
Coming in second is Oklahoma with eight appearances (3-5), followed by a tie between USC (6-1), Florida (5-2) and Florida State (2-5), all with seven apiece.
11. Team with Lowest Ranking After Winning the BCS?
Answer: Tie between LSU and Auburn.
LSU won it all in 2007 and then went 8-5 in 2008, finishing unranked. Auburn won the title in 2010 and finished 2011 8-5 and unranked.
12. Most Single-Season Sacks?
Answer: Terrell Suggs, Arizona State.
Suggs recorded 24 sacks in 2002, a mark which is also an NCAA record. Suggs also holds the record for career sacks with 44 from 2000 to 2002.
13. Team with Best Average Recruiting Ranking?
14. Two Conferences with No BCS Bowl
Answer: Conference USA and the Sun Belt.
The other three non-BCS conferences have all been to at least one BCS bowl. The Mountain West has sent four teams to the BCS (3-1), the WAC (now defunct) has sent three (2-1) and the MAC sent a team in 2013.(0-1).
There are only five non-BCS programs that have ascended to a BCS bowl. Utah is 2-0 (Mountain West), TCU is 1-1 (Mountain West), Boise State is 2-0 (WAC), Hawaii is 0-1 (WAC) and Northern Illinois is 0-1 (MAC).
15. Teams Finishing Unranked Before Winning the BCS?
Answer: Four-way tie between Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU and Auburn.
Oklahoma went 7-5 in 1999 before winning the 2000 BCS title. Ohio State went 7-5 in 2001 before winning the 2002 title. LSU went 8-5 in 2002 before winning the 2003 title. Auburn went 8-5 in before winning the 2010 title.
16. Conference with Worst BCS Bowl Record?
Answer: The ACC.
The ACC has a 3-13 record (13.3 percent) in BCS play.
The next-worst record (with a minimum of 10 appearances) is the Big 12 with a 9-11 record (45 percent), followed by the Big Ten with a 12-14 record (46.2 percent).
17. Highest Field-Goal Percentage?
Answer: Alex Henery, Nebraska.
Henery made 89.5 percent of his field-goal attempts from 2007 to 2010. This mark is also an NCAA record.
As a senior in 2010, Henery went 18-of-19, converting 94.7 percent of his attempts.
18. Five FBS Head Coaches Who Played During the BCS Era?
Answer: Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech; Willie Taggert, South Florida; Matt Campbell, Toledo; P.J. Fleck, Western Michigan; and Bryan Harsin, Arkansas State.
Kingsbury played quarterback at Texas Tech from 1998 to 2002. Taggert played quarterback at Western Kentucky from 1995 to 1998. Campbell played defensive lineman at Mount Union from 1999 to 2002. Fleck played wide receiver at Northern Illinois from 1999 to 2003. Harsin played quarterback at Boise State from 1995 to 1998.
19. Player Responsible for Most TD's in the BCS Era?
Answer: Case Keenum, Houston.
Keenum was responsible for 178 TDs from 2007 to 2011. He threw 155 TDs, and the other 23 came by rushing.
Keenum holds NCAA FBS records for career TDs (178), career points (1,078), career yards (20,114), career passing yards (19,217) and career passes completed (1,546).
20. Highest TV Rating for a BCS Title Game?
Answer: Texas vs. USC.
In a classic game that lived up to the hype, quarterback Vince Young led the Texas Longhorns to a 41-38 win over the USC Trojans in the 2006 Rose Bowl, which doubled as the BCS title game.
The TV audience came out en masse for the event, according to bcsfootball.org, with the game getting a 21.7 share.
21. Biggest Upset in BCS Bowl History?
Answer: Louisville’s win over Florida in the 2013 Sugar Bowl.
The Cardinals were 14.5-point underdogs and beat the Gators 33-23.
The next biggest upsets are Ohio State’s win over Miami in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl/BCS title game and Oklahoma’s win over Florida State in the 2001 Orange Bowl/BCS title game.