As the current transfer window winds down, Chelsea remains focused on luring one of England's top stars away from his current English Premier League club.
Wayne Rooney might still make his home at Old Trafford, but speculation about the star striker's potential move to Stamford Bridge continues to dominate conversation surrounding the current Europa League champions.
Current players Fernando Torres and David Luiz have also been in transfer rumours over the past few days.
The Blues will get their first taste of the 2013 International Champions Cup when they take on Inter Milan on Thursday. In the meantime, all eyes will continue to stay focused on what the club is going to do to bolster Mourinho's lineup before the upcoming league season begins.
Keeping that in mind, here's a look at the latest rumours surrounding three players with Chelsea ties.
It's painfully clear that it's Rooney or bust for Mourinho and the Blues.
After having a £27 million bid for the striker rejected by Manchester United earlier this summer, Chelsea are reportedly preparing another bid to convince the Red Devils that even Rooney will be bought at the right price.
According to Simon Johnson of the Independent, the Blues are prepared to increase their bid for the 27-year-old to £40 million. Here's an excerpt from Johnson's report:
Mourinho had insisted that the Blues would only make one bid, however, the need to acquire him means the club will return with a much higher offer. Manchester United do not want to sell the 27-year-old forward to a Premier League rival. But the former Everton star is still angling for a move away from Old Trafford this summer and is believed to have made Chelsea his first-choice destination.
Rooney, who was one of just four players to accumulate double-digit goals and assists during the 2012-13 EPL season, is set to meet with new manager David Moyes sometime this week about his future with the current league champions.
According to the Sun, Rooney will express feelings of inadequacy in the meeting. Moyes, in turn, wants use the time with his English star to reiterate a personal and club desire to keep Rooney in the fold both now and in the future.
After the Rooney-Moyes chat occurs, we should have a greater gauge on whether or not Chelsea's increased bid will be enough to convince United to part ways with their star forward.
If Rooney does indeed make his way to Stamford Bridge, Torres could be the odd man out.
Per Johnson's report, the Blues could allow either Torres or Demba Ba to leave if Rooney winds up being acquired by the team before the transfer window closes.
Since Chelsea paid a reported fee of £50 million to snatch the Spanish star away from Anfield in 2011, he hasn't lived up to the hype. In parts of three Premier League seasons with the Blues, Torres has just 15 goals.
According to Spanish newspaper SuperDeporte, Valencia are keen on giving the 29-year-old striker a way to get back to Spain and repair his image as one of the top players in the world.
With transfer rumours swirling around Valencia star Roberto Soldado, the La Liga club are reportedly interested in placing a bid for Torres. If the price is right and Rooney is already in the fold, it wouldn't be surprising to see the Blues cut their losses and agree to sell.
Bayern Munich was mentioned as a possible landing spot for the Chelsea defender earlier in the transfer window, but Pep Guardiola squashed those rumours on Tuesday.
As reported by Shane Farrington of Goal.com, Guardiola emphatically told reporters ahead of the Audi Cup that he was satisfied with his current collection of defenders ahead of the upcoming Bundesliga season.
"David Luiz won't come to Munich," Guardiola said in Farrington's report. "I have four, five central defenders, and I am happy with them."
According to the Sun, Mourinho and the Blues are going to make it virtually impossible for Munich—or any club, for that matter—to inquire about a Luiz transfer. Per the report, Luiz would cost Munich £60 million.
As you can see in this tweet from WhoScored.com, Chelsea has been better with Luiz in the lineup than without him:
When you add up all the chatter about Luiz, it points to the idea that he won't be leaving the Blues before Mourinho's first season back with the club begins.
Follow B/R's Ethan Grant (@DowntownEG) on Twitter.