The transfer window rolls on into another week, and the Luis Suarez saga shows no signs of reaching a conclusion any time soon.
There's plenty more as well, but don't worry, we've got all the updates in this Monday edition of the B/R Summer Transfer Window Gossip roundup.
David Luiz, Chelsea's buccaneering centre-back, is a £40 million target for Bayern Munich.
In what is titled a "World Exclusive," The Sun's Shaun Custis claims Bayern boss Pep Guardiola is ready to spend big in a bid to prise the Brazilian away from Stamford Bridge.
The Sun claims Guardiola had his eyes trained on Luiz while he was in charge of Barcelona, and his year out of management has not dampened his enthusiasm. Custis claims Guardiola "put out feelers" while Luiz was on Confederations Cup duty earlier this summer.
Bayern lost to Borussia Dortmund in the German Super Cup this past weekend. Following that performance, a Sun insider was quoted as saying: "The performance exposed some weaknesses that Pep believes could be sorted out by bringing in Luiz."
Luiz joined Chelsea from Benfica late in the winter 2011 transfer window. He made a positive early impression and has continued to put in spectacular performances, but he has also been criticised for some defensive lapses.
The defender was linked with a move away from Chelsea earlier in the summer, but Blues boss Jose Mourinho played the reports down. Luiz joined his Chelsea teammates for preseason training last week.
Another day, another Gareth Bale line to digest. After the weekend revelation that Real Madrid were readying a bid of €100 million, as reported by ESPN, there are conflicting reports about the Tottenham star’s future.
The Mirror's Darren Lewis is claiming that Spurs chairman Daniel Levy has put up a barrier between himself and Bale and will not entertain any further talks about the potential move to Madrid. He is adamant Bale will not be sold.
Elsewhere, the Daily Star’s Dave Woods (in an "exclusive" report) claims the north Londoners are already planning for life without their attacking star. They have reportedly made tentative enquiries about Paris Saint-Germain forward Javier Pastore. The Argentine star is comfortable playing down the middle or out wide.
And conflicting with what the Mirror has said, the Mail’s Neil Ashton is stating that Levy has interrupted a family holiday to fly back to London for crunch talks with Bale.
It’s fair to say Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale are pretty much neck and neck in the big summer transfer race (Cesc Fabregas is a close third), and Liverpool’s Uruguayan is in the news once again on Monday.
Former Liverpool striker Michael Owen may have more than one eye on his thoroughbred empire, but he’s still close to the Premier League action and has told the BBC that he would be surprised if Suarez ended up at Arsenal.
Suarez is back in the Liverpool fold on their preseason tour, but talk about his future still swirls. Arsenal have been chasing him for much of the summer, while Real Madrid are also in the frame.
Owen played for both Liverpool and Real during his career. While he can see the appeal of a move to Spain, he cannot fathom why Suarez would head to Arsenal.
As Owen said on BBC's Sportsweek:
Arsenal are a fabulous club and have got a great heritage, but Liverpool are as big—if not bigger. I'd be very surprised if he were to move to Arsenal. Madrid or Barcelona would make more sense.
I'm struggling to understand why he would leave and stay in England with Liverpool being the stature they are.
Signed from French club Bordeaux in 2010, Chamakh has failed to impress in Arsenal colours. He spent the end of last season on loan at West Ham, where he failed to find the target.
A return to Bordeaux looked on the cards, but The Sun claims Eagles boss Ian Holloway wants to speak to the forward after failing to bring in striker Carlton Cole from West Ham.
Cole, a free agent after leaving West Ham, had been in advanced talks with Palace, but Darren Whitcoop of the Daily Star claims the Eagles backed off after being told the forward wanted £40,000 per week. Cole could instead be heading for a stint in France’s Ligue 1, with St Etienne in talks with regard to a two-year deal.
Liverpool’s focus may be on the Luis Suarez saga, but manager Brendan Rodgers still has his sights on new faces.
Rodgers said last week, according to Sky Sports, that he wanted a left-back to provide competition and cover for Jose Enrique, and the Mail's Dominic King claims Benfica's Lorenzo Melgarejo is now his No. 1 target.
Rodgers reportedly wants to sign Melgarejo on loan with a view to a permanent move. King also states there is no guarantee the Reds would secure a work permit, as the 22-year-old has made only one international appearance for Paraguay.
Matija Nastasic left the field on a stretcher during Manchester City’s Asia Trophy win over Sunderland, and according to the Mirror’s David McDonnell, the defender will miss the start of the Premier League season. This is likely to result in City manager Manuel Pellegrini halting any sale of Joleon Lescott.