Biggest Takeaways from the Boston Bruins Development Camp
The Boston Bruins held their seventh annual development camp earlier this month to work out prospects and to determine the next steps that the prospects need to take in order to develop into NHL-ready players.
According to the official statement released by the B's, 24 players attended this year's camp in Wilmington, MA., 18 of which are in the Bruins organization (including this year's six draftees). The other six players were individually invited by the team.
Per the Bruins, there were 12 forwards, eight defensemen and three goaltenders in attendance from July 10-15.
Here are the three biggest takeaways from the camp:
Most professional athletes have a Twitter account (for better or worse), and the Bruins certainly know that after former center Tyler Seguin tweeted an anti-gay comment back in April.
So Boston took a proactive step in teaching its prospects about how to use social media responsibly.
Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com reported that the Bruins gave a “Twitter tutorial” for the third straight year to their young talent.
McDonald spoke with assistant general manager Don Sweeney about the Twitter crash course.
“It’s here to stay. They have to understand it and acknowledge it and be careful about it,” Sweeney said.
“We have to understand it better and we have to hopefully get them to understand and appreciate the impact some of their statements and how quickly those statements get from Point A to Point B.
“We’ll continue to address it and it’s not the first time. Hopefully we’ll continue to get better at it and get the message across because at times it doesn’t always sink in. There’s growth in those areas as well and we’ll continue to make sure and we’ll point out some of the slip-ups that other guys have had over the course of time and learn from them. Hopefully they all do, so they don’t make the same mistakes.”
The program started the year after Seguin participated in the camp, and the Bruins think this will prevent any new players from making any mistakes that their former star said.
Subban to Make Leap from Junior to AHL This Season
2012 first-round draft pick Malcolm Subban attended the camp for the second straight year, and he will make the transition from junior to professional this season.
Subban, the second of three brothers to be drafted into an NHL organization, played three years of junior for the Belleville Bulls of the Ontario Hockey League.
“My focus right now is just to try to hopefully get myself up to the AHL level, and the NHL level will come," Subban said.
Sweeney told Benjamin that Subban won't be rushed because the Bruins already have their franchise goalie in Tuukka Rask.
“That’s all healthy in a person’s development . . . I don’t think [Subban’s] in a rush, nor should he be, and he should just sort of embrace what’s in front of him and that moment. I think he does a good job of that. He’s a really competitive guy. So, he’s going to want the net, and you love that in a goaltender.”
Subban's Bulls were upset by the Barrie Colts in a seven-game series in the OHL playoffs this past spring, and Sweeney thinks that it will help Subban going forward, because he is certain to face some kind of adversity.
“The experience that he went through being challenged, having a little bit of disappointment, I think really sets him up well for that next phase of his career because he’s going to go in against much better shooters than what he’s been facing on a regular basis,” Sweeney said. “He’s such an athletic goaltender that has so much promise.”
Cehlarik Stands out
Czech native Peter Cehlarik was drafted in the third round, No. 90 overall by Boston, and he showed why he could be a steal down the road.
Caryn Switaj of Bruins.com reported that Providence coach Bruce Cassidy loved what he saw from Cehlarik.
"Cehlarik, the young draft choice this year, you know he has very soft hands on the boards. He’s got that very European [Marian] Hossa look to him. Strong on the puck, big man," Cassidy said.
The 18-year-old Czech told Switaj of his demeanor going into his first organized team activity with Boston:
"Just show them why they picked me," Cehlarik said. "Show them what I've got, and learn how to be Bruin."
At the draft in June, general manager Peter Chiarelli said that Cehlarik had a "Little bit of hands and little bit of Handzus" in him. Being compared to two of the best Czechs (and defensive forwards) in the NHL isn't a bad start for the teenager.
In three years, remember the name Peter Cehlarik. He will be remembered as one of the biggest steals of the 2013 draft, along with Nashville nabbing Seth Jones No. 4 overall after the big defensemen was passed over three times.