Paul George already pledged his allegiance to the Indiana Pacers, according to Yahoo! Sports' Marc J. Spears, and now 'Melo, another Lakers target, has shot down reports that he will be joining forces with Kobe Bryant next summer.
"Ummmmm, I doubt it," 'Melo concluded.
For good measure, TMZ pointed out to Anthony that they think he would look good in Lakers colors before implying they felt he'd be repping the team soon enough.
"I don't think you should read between the lines," he said.
Cue the collective sighs of relief coming out of New York.
Previously, ESPN's Stephen A Smith, via ESPN Los Angeles' Arash Markazi, said there was a "50-50" chance 'Melo would spurn the Knicks in favor of Kobe's Lakers next summer.
Stephen A. says it's 50-50 Carmelo Anthony leaves New York next year and it's 50-50 he comes to the Lakers.— Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) July 8, 2013
Anthony, apparently, begs to differ.
Things could easily change between now and next summer, though. There's no telling how 'Melo will react to yet another early playoff ousting. The continued absence of a fellow superstar could also drive him to explore other options, including the one that awaits him in Los Angeles.
Which superstar will the Lakers land next summer?
But while 'Melo makes no promises, the Lakers shouldn't get their hopes up. He (likely) isn't going anywhere.
"I know I'm going to be here for a long time," Anthony said of his situation in New York on exit-interview day, as quoted by ESPN's Ian O'Connor.
Usually, "a long time" extends well beyond one more season. In that case, 'Melo won't be taking his scoring prowess to Hollywood or anywhere else.
For better or worse—and with James Dolan running the show, it's normally the latter—Anthony will remain with the Knicks. For a long time.
Sorry, Los Angeles. There's always LeBron. Feel free to continue lusting after him.