Mark Thompson/Getty Images
Sunday, July 28
Following the Marca story earlier in the week (see below), the English media has been increasingly talking up the notion that Gareth Bale has his heart set on a move to Real Madrid.
The Observer's David Hytner has described the attacker as being "distraught" at Tottenham's refusal to consider a bid from Real Madrid—one the writer has at £86.3 million.
Meanwhile The Sun's Anthony Kastrinakis has a different take on an offer the La Liga club are preparing. He has outlined a bid composed of "£51m cash plus £25m-rated Angel Di Maria and £19m Fabio Coentrao."
As noted by the Daily Telegraph's Mark Ogden, Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas' public stance on the situation has remained largely unyielding.
He is understandably displeased by speculation about one of his best players distracting from his team's preseason preparations.
Villas-Boas has dared not publicly contemplate the prospect of losing Bale. Privately at least, if these reports are anything to go by, that is something he may now be doing.
Ahead of Tottenham's game with South China out in Hong Kong, Andre Villas-Boas has hinted that the club is in talks with Gareth Bale about a new contract.
While SkySports.com (among others) are leading with this, Villas-Boas also strongly emphasized the fact that Bale had already signed a long-term contract last year—on which three years still remain.
If Spurs fans are looking for signs that Bale plans to stay, they might want to check out this Daily Mail article by Mike Anstead, which carries quotes from an interview the player gave to UK-based Match of the Day magazine.
The latest edition of the primarily youth-oriented publication has Bale talking about Spurs' prospects for the season, notably the possibility of the team mounting a title challenge.
Tuesday, July 23
Spanish newspaper Marca have claimed Gareth Bale has told Tottenham Hotspur he wants to join Real Madrid.
The story, translated here through a Daily Mail article by Chris Wheeler, also says that a deal is close to completion.
Elsewhere, The Times' James Ducker reports that Manchester United manager David Moyes has been given the necessary funds to try and sign Bale.
Both reports have come after Andre Villas-Boas has reiterated that the player is not for sale.
"He is a player that we are willing to continue to have, he's a Tottenham player, he's one of the most fantastic players in the world at the moment and we are counting on him for the future," Villas-Boas said at a preseason press conference out in Hong Kong, as quoted by SkySports.com.