In the sport of MMA, unlike checkers or, say, flag football, a loss is oftentimes brutal and violent, a scary reminder of how capably the human form can dismantle an adversary.
To reflect on these instances and to remind ourselves of our ever-vulnerable state of mortality, let us recap the top 5 beatdowns from the first half of 2013.
Since the word "beatdown" is subjectively defined, here are some qualities I considered when compiling the list:
- A one-shot knockout is not a beatdown unless the knockout occurred after a prolonged beating.
- The longer a beatdown carries on, the better.
- A beatdown is completely one-sided.
- Some factor of humiliation is involved. The loser is crushed physically and mentally.
- Blood always helps.
- If asked to choose between a rematch and an all-day marathon blasting Justin Bieber's latest album, the loser grabs the headphones and dies a little inside.
Still with me? Click on to see which matchup comes in at No. 5.
Note: All stats provided by Fightmetric.