According to reports, David Moyes can buy a "stellar player" for Manchester United this summer.
Manchester United are yet to make any significant moves in the transfer window, but there are still plenty of big names that could come to Old Trafford before the summer’s out.
However, there promises to be a lot of activity between now and September 2, when the current transfer window closes.
And Moyes has been given the go-ahead to spend big and sign a “stellar player,” according to The Independent.
Over the next five slides, we look at five huge deals that Manchester United could still pull off this summer.
Cesc Fabregas—leaving the Nou Camp?
Reports linking Manchester United with Cesc Fabregas seemed to die down in recent weeks, until the club lost out on potential signing Thiago Alcantara.
Cue a resuscitated interest in the former Arsenal midfielder.
According to BBC Sport's Ben Smith, United made a £25 million bid for the Spaniard on Monday.
Reports suggest that Fabregas does not want to leave the Nou Camp. He was quoted in The Guardian last month as saying: "I've always said that I'm happy at Barca. Whoever says that I'm leaving doesn't know me and has never spoken with me."
However, should the club listen to offers and prove that Fabregas is not central to their plans, it might make him reassess his future.
Arsenal have a buy-back option that would give them first refusal on the 26-year-old, and the Gunners could try to hijack United’s bid.
With eight years of Premier League experience under his belt, Fabregas would be an excellent signing for Moyes and would offer the midfielder the chance to link up with former teammate Robin van Persie.
Whether the club’s £25 million offer can tempt him away from La Liga remains to be seen. Watch this space.
Everton's Leighton Baines—could he be on his way to Old Trafford?
The highly rated left-back has been linked with the club for some time and could be a perfect replacement for Patrice Evra, who has been rumoured to make a summer move back to former club Monaco, as reported by The Independent's Ian Herbert.
Baines worked with Moyes at Everton, and it’s thought that the Scottish manager may prove instrumental in bringing him to Old Trafford.
Everton insist that they are not willing to let the 28-year-old leave at any price, and according to David Anderson of the Mirror, they may make the England international their highest-paid player.
But with rumours circling that United may make an improved bid for Baines—the Mirror's David McDonnell suggests a fee somewhere in the region of £18 million—the Toffees may not be able to resist such a sweet offer.
Ezequiel Garay—already a United man?
If reports are to be believed, Manchester United have already reached an agreement with Benfica to sign Ezequiel Garay.
According to Tuttomercato (via Charles Perrin in the Express) United have agreed a deal for £17.2 million.
The centre-back, 26, would be brought in as a long-term successor for Nemanja Vidic and/or Rio Ferdinand, the former having missed the start of United’s preseason training in Australia and south-east Asia with sciatica.
Garay has made 86 appearances for Benfica since joining the side in 2011 and has appeared 14 times for the Argentina national side, as seen on Transfermarkt.
Manchester United target? Everton's Marouane Fellaini.
David Moyes brought Marouane Fellaini to the Premier League as Everton manager in 2008.
Since then, the Belgian midfielder has racked up 173 performances and scored 32 goals in all competitions.
Two months ago, Fellaini was being linked with a move to Old Trafford, as seen here in Jamie Jackson’s article for The Guardian.
However, as reported in another Jackson report in The Guardian, Fellaini has a £23 million release clause in his contract that could be triggered with a bid from Moyes.
The 6’4” midfielder would certainly be a good acquisition for United, who lack physical presence in the center of the park.
Real Madrid's Luka Modric.
In terms of big-name transfers, it really doesn't get any bigger than Cristiano Ronaldo.
Rumours linking Ronaldo with a move back to Old Trafford received a shot in the arm this week when it was announced that the club would have the funds available to make a big-name signing.
In the Express, United chief executive Ed Woodward was quoted as saying: "We haven't got money burning a hole in our pocket but we have got a strategy on player purchases and if David wants to go after a stellar player he can do that."
This caused the Daily Mail's Simon Stone to comment on Manchester United’s apparent willingness to "break the bank" to bring Ronaldo back to United.
This rumour is one that won’t go away and is something that Red Devils fans would love to see. But a move looks unlikely for the time being after recent comments from both Madrid and Ronaldo, according to BBC Sport and The Guardian respectively.
Perhaps it will be Modric who will leave the Bernabeu in search of regular first-team football at Old Trafford.