Tottenham HotspurDownload App

Tottenham Hotspur Transfer Tracker: Week of July 15 News and Rumors

Thomas CooperChief Writer IVOctober 24, 2016

Tottenham Hotspur Transfer Tracker: Week of July 15 News and Rumors

1 of 7

    Anyone expecting the signing of Paulinho to herald a flurry of Tottenham Hotspur transfer activity will have been disappointed by the quietness of last week.

    Besides a couple of departures (one on loan, one permanently) any transfer dealings were conducted firmly behind closed doors.

    We now wait to see whether the coming week will bring anything new, or just the same old speculation.

    Make sure to check back here for all the latest news and rumors relating to Spurs' dealings in the transfer market.

    LAST UPDATE: Sunday, July 21

Spurs Agree Deal for Chadli

2 of 7

    Sunday, July 21

    Tottenham are on the verge of completing a transfer for FC Twente's Nacer Chadli.

    Spurs announced via their official website that they have agreed a deal with the Dutch club for the winger.

    So long as Chadli agrees terms and passes a medical, "the Belgian international winger will join up with the squad for preseason training in Hong Kong next week."

    Chadli will be manager Andre Villas-Boas' second signing of the summer, following the purchase of Paulinho from Corinthians.

    The Brazilian is still on holiday following his Confederations Cup campaign and is likely to join up with his new teammates following their return from the Barclays Asia Trophy.

    Tuesday, July 16

    Tottenham could be facing a battle to sign FC Twente's Nacer Chadli.

    The Mirror's Darren Lewis reports that Swansea City and Shakhtar Donetsk are also interested in the Belgian winger.

    Unlike Spurs, those two clubs have made actual offers. A fact revealed by Twente chairman Joop Munsterman.

    “We hear a lot about Tottenham but the club will have to put up a concrete offer first," revealed Munsterman.

    “So far, only Swansea and Shakhtar have made concrete offers and are still options, even though Nacer decided not to go to them."

    Spurs have largely been biding their time in the transfer market so far. If they really want Chadli it seems the player at least may be keen on a move.

    Elsewhere, the Daily Mail's Graeme Yorke believes that Fulham may not be the frontrunner for Tom Huddlestone's signature.

    Despite seemingly being nailed on for a move to Sunderland, the involved parties are said to have been unable to agree a deal.

Tottenham Bid for Soldado?

3 of 7

    Sunday, July 21

    The Daily Mail's Joe Bernstein writes that Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy "is prepared to sanction an £18million move for Valencia striker Roberto Soldado."

    If Spurs' interest in Soldado is genuine, how much the player will cost seems to be the unknown right now.

    The report below suggested Spurs might have to go as high as £30 million. Bernstein's report suggests the North Londoners will start much lower in their bidding.

    Friday, July 19

    According to the Daily Star's Paul Brown, Tottenham have offered Valencia £20 million for their striker Roberto Soldado.

    The Spain international is understood to have a release clause of £30 million, which the La Liga club may be holding out for.

    Brown's article quotes Valencia president Amadeo Salvo as saying "Valencia needs money. But we don’t have to sell our best player."

     

Spurs Back in for Bernard?

4 of 7

    Saturday, July 20

    The Independent's Jack De Menezes reports that Tottenham have joined Liverpool in the hunt for Atletico Mineiro's Bernard.

    Borussia Dortmund, Porto and Shakhtar Donetsk are also said to be interested in the Brazil international.

    The London Evening Standard's Tom Dutton had reported earlier in July that Spurs' interest in the player had cooled off.

    It seems this story may not yet be over.

Christian Benteke Latest

5 of 7

    Saturday, July 20

    Aston Villa announced on Friday evening, via their official website, that Christian Benteke had withdrawn his transfer request and agreed an extension to his contract at the Birmingham club.

    Just how interested Spurs were may remain unknown. Regardless, Benteke will not be joining the club this summer.

    Monday, July 15

    The Mirror's James Nursey reports Tottenham are preparing to make their first bid for Aston Villa's Christian Benteke this week.

    Villa want £25 million for their striker, and would prefer to sort things out quickly so as to avoid disrupting their preparations for the season any further.

    The London Evening Standard's Simon Johnson writes that Benteke, who handed in a transfer request last week, wants a deal done by Thursday so he does not have to return to Villa for preseason.

Man United to Offer £60 Million for Bale?

6 of 7

    Saturday, July 20

    The Times' James Ducker and the Daily Telegraph's Mark Ogden are today talking up Manchester United's interest in Gareth Bale.

    The suggestion in both their articles is that a bid for Bale will follow their current pursuing of Barcelona's Cesc Fabregas.

    It may be a non-starter, at least if Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas is to be believed.

    He told Sky Sports following his team's 0-0 draw with Colchester United that "Bale is not for sale at any price."

    Friday, July 19

    The London Evening Standard's Simon Johnson believes that, as somewhat expected, Tottenham's response to any Man United bid for Gareth Bale would be to ignore it.

    David Woods of the Daily Star does not disagree, but suggests Bale might be interested in joining up with David Moyes at Old Trafford.

    Thursday, July 18

    Dominating the Premier League transfer rumor mill across England on Thursday morning was the report in The Mirror suggesting Manchester United are preparing a bid for Gareth Bale.

    Oliver Holt's story suggests the reigning champions will offer £60 million for the Tottenham star.

    The early return from United's preseason tour of their vice-chairman Ed Woodward is said to be in part due to the club's desire to get started on a potential move.

    Man United's interest may be genuine, but it seems unlikely Spurs will consider selling their prize asset to a Premier League rival.

    Unlike in previous seasons when Michael Carrick and Dimitar Berbatov were sold to the Red Devils, Spurs will feel they are in a stronger position to challenge higher up the table. Thus the prospect of losing Bale to a team they are aiming to compete with will not appeal.

    Even if the player asks for a move, with three years still on his contract Spurs will not feel pressured to sell him just yet.

Spurs in for Betis' Vadillo

7 of 7

    Monday, July 15

    Daily Express writer James Dickenson belives Tottenham are interested in Real Betis winger Alvaro Vadillo.

    "Informal talks" between the 18-year-old's agent and Spurs are already said to have taken place.

    Vadillo is a Spanish youth international, and according to Dickenson has also generated interest from Manchester United.

Where can I comment?

Stay on your game

Latest news, insights, and forecasts on your teams across leagues.

Choose Teams
Get it on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Real-time news for your teams right on your mobile device.

Download
Copyright © 2017 Bleacher Report, Inc. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved. BleacherReport.com is part of Bleacher Report – Turner Sports Network, part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Network. Certain photos copyright © 2017 Getty Images. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of Getty Images is strictly prohibited. AdChoices