Manchester United Transfer Tracker: Week of July 15 News and Rumours
Manchester United were rightly criticised following their 1-0 loss to the Singha All-Stars on Saturday.
However, fans of the club should trust new boss David Moyes to get the team playing up to scratch by the time the season kicks off in August.
He is yet to make a significant signing in the transfer window, though.
Here are the latest rumours swirling around Old Trafford for the week beginning July 15.
United to Bid £60m for Bale
With the club having missed out on several rumoured targets already, it has been a frustrating summer for Manchester United so far.
New manager David Moyes will be looking to make his mark on the club by showing he can attract world class talent to Old Trafford.
According to The Mirror, he has switched his attention to Tottenham Hostpur's Gareth Bale, the reigning PFA's Player of the Year.
The British tabloid reports "United are making a massive £60 million bid for Bale."
"The move for the Welshman is thought to be one of the reasons why United's vice chairman Ed Woodward is returning early from their pre-season tour of the Far East and Australia."
Chesea Offer £10m Plus Mata or Luiz for Rooney, United Say No
Here is the type of transfer rumour that truly defines "Silly Season."
"Sportsmail understands the two players remarkably on offer are Player of the Year Juan Mata or Brazil international David Luiz," the report claims.
The story is a sensational one, and if true, would truly rock British football to its core.
The only question would be, which club is the more foolish? Chelsea for offering two of their finest players, or United for rejecting the offer?
Rooney Angry at Moyes over Comments
The tensions between Wayne Rooney and Manchester United have risen this week.
New club manager David Moyes told reporters earlier this week that the forward's place in the first team was not guaranteed.
According to a report from the Daily Mail, Rooney has been left "angry" and "confused" at Moyes' lack of faith in him.
The report claims "Wayne Rooney is ready to hand in a written transfer request after repeating to Manchester United his wish to quit."
This may be the final straw that pushes the 27-year-old to a summer exit.
Barca State Fabregas Is Not for Sale
Barcelona attacking midfielder Cesc Fabregas is believed to be David Moyes' top transfer target this summer.
There have been rumblings that the former Arsenal player's place at the Camp Nou has become marginalised.
According to club manager Tito Vilanova, this is not the case. The Barca manager told reporters on Tuesday that Fabregas was not for sale (via Daily Mail).
"Cesc has received offers from other clubs. I talked with him and he told me he wants to stay. His dream is to triumph here," said Vilanova.
"We're very happy to have Cesc. I'm conscious that he has received offers, but he spoke to me, says he's happy, no chance of leaving."
United Bid for Cesc Fabregas
The Red Devils have launched a bid to sign Barcelona attacking midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
News broke Monday morning of a £26 million offer being made for the Spaniard's services. United will now wait for a response from the Blaugrana.
According the the Daily Mail, "After missing out on Barca teammate Thiago Alcantara following the Spain Under 21 star's decision to switch to Bayern Munich, the Premier League champions are ready to spend big to secure a return to England for the Spain international."
"Fabregas's former club Arsenal could scupper any deal though, with the Gunners having first refusal on the 26-year-old."
It seems new manager David Moyes is keen to act as soon as possible, as many of Europe's top club have already made their move in the transfer market.
Moyes Planning Double Swoop for Ronaldo and Bale
Just as the summer took a turn for the worse, the Daily Mail gave Manchester United fans fresh hope with an optimistic transfer report.
Most United fans would give their right arm for the Red Devils to sign either Cristiano Ronaldo or Gareth Bale.
The Daily Mail claims that David Moyes has the funds at his disposal to chase the club's top two summer targets.
Manchester United are ready to splurge on a world class player like Cristiano Ronaldo or Gareth Bale, after the club admitted they would back David Moyes if he wants to sign a 'stellar player' this summer.
Chief Executive Ed Woodward insists the resources are there to recruit top-drawer talent and said they are 'absolutely' able to compete for players in the £60million to £70million bracket.
United Target Thiago Signs for Bayern
In circumstances reminiscent of Paris Saint-Germain's capture of United target Lucas Moura last summer, Bayern Munich have captured young Barcelona star Thiago Alcantara from under the noses of the Red Devils.
According to ESPN, the transfer is worth €25 million.
New Bayern manager Pep Guardiola is believed to be key to his fellow Spaniard signing for the German champions.
The news is a blow to Moyes in the opening weeks of his career in charge of United.
The 22-year-old was arguably the most impressive player at the recent European Under-21 Championships.
Rooney Could Spend Season on the Bench
David Moyes has repeatedly said Wayne Rooney will remain at Old Trafford next season.
The Manchester United forward may still be demanding a move away from the club, but the Scottish manager does not want to lose such a significant battle so early in his tenure.
This does not necessarily mean that Rooney will be a regular first-team player next season, though.
According to a report in The Mirror, "Moyes has told Rooney he is no longer an automatic pick at Old Trafford, with Robin van Persie his recognised first-choice striker."
Shinji Kagawa is also considered the club's first choice behind Van Persie in the No. 10 role.
Deal Reached for Ezequiel Garay
Manchester United are certainly well-stocked on defensive options, but that does not seem to have deterred David Moyes targeting another central player.
Benfica's Ezequiel Garay has been heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford this summer.
According to Spanish publication Marca, the two clubs have already reached a deal for the Argentina international (h/t ManUtd.com).
It is thought that Garay will be a long-term replacement for ageing United stalwart Rio Ferdinand.
But with the likes of Phil Jones, Jonny Evans and Chris Smalling currently pushing for a place in the first team, the transfer would leave their respective futures in doubt.
Zaha to Remain at Old Trafford for the Season
The performance of Wilfried Zaha was arguably the brightest spot for the Red Devils in their 1-0 preseason loss to the Singha All-Stars.
The young English winger was a bundle of energy in his brief cameo, going close to scoring an equaliser late on.
Having made the move from Crystal Palace, it was rumoured that the 20-year-old would spend next season out on loan.
But the player himself moved to quash such talk after Saturday's game, when he told ManUtd.com (h/t The Guardian), "I've grafted to get here so Manchester United is where I want to stay."
"I have moved away from most of my family and friends but it's progress. Everyone understands that. I wanted to make the move here because it's what is best for my career."