Chelsea Transfer News: Latest on Blues' Top Offseason Targets

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Chelsea Transfer News: Latest on Blues' Top Offseason Targets
Richard Heathcote/Getty Images

Chelsea are deep into this summer's transfer window despite it only being 10 days old, but it's not all good news surrounding Stamford Bridge so far.

While newly arrived manager Jose Mourinho's favorites are coming out across the offseason, some are being lost to high bidders and some of the other elite professional football clubs.

Let's take a look at the latest news surrounding Chelsea's most coveted players.

 

Christian Benteke

Mark Thompson/Getty Images

Amid unhappiness at Aston Villa, it seems Christian Benteke is looking to join a top-notch Premier League club and Chelsea are one of the teams in the mix.

According to The Express. Benteke has formally asked to leave Villa and a heap of clubs are in the running, including Mourinho and the Blues.

The Belgian, whose goals kept Villa up, will be a target for London club bosses Andre Villas-Boas - who missed out on Barcelona's David Villa - Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger.

Manchester City are also tracking Benteke as they look to add another forward to their squad following the departures of Carlos Tevez and Mario Balotelli in the last six months.

There is also interest in the 19-goal hitman from abroad, with Atletico Madrid and Fiorentinareportedly keen on signing the Villa star.

It's said to be generally Chelsea vs. Tottenham in the Benteke sweepstakes, per Neil Moxley of the Daily Mail. However, Moxley also states that Spurs lead that race as of Tuesday. 

The Belgian striker emerged as a top-flight Premier League force with Aston Villa, scoring 19 goals in 34 appearances with the squad. But at just the age of 22 and already assuming transfer bids of £25 million, a move seems imminent either way. 

 

Edinson Cavani

Robert Cianflone/Getty Images

Just days ago, Edinson Cavani was reported by ESPN to have agreed with Paris Saint-Germain. That report has now been deemed as premature, but the talks are certainly underway.

PSG sporting director Leonardo spoke directly about his club's pursuit of Cavani, adding that he's been in close contact with Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis and offers have been made, according to Nadia Carminati of Sky Sports

Leonardo believes PSG's offer for Cavani is 'interesting' and he is hoping there will be some positive news on a potential deal in the next week.

"We presented De Laurentiis with an offer that I consider really interesting," Leonardo told Il Mattino. "The negotiations continue. We will remain in contact and, in these next few days, there could be news."

Reports have claimed that Cavani, who is under contract at Napoli until 2017, has been offered a five-year deal by PSG worth €10m (£8.6m) per season.

Charles Perrin of The Express added late Wednesday that a deal sending Cavani to PSG could be done soon as they're "expected to tie up a deal in a matter of hours."

So while it gives a sliver of hope to Blues fans that talks between PSG and Napoli could break down, it certainly sounds like both sides are already heavily entrenched in talks and the big-pocket French side could end up ponying up the hefty sum Napoli are looking for.

The 26-year-old striker capped off an amazing season with the Serie A club, scoring 36 goals in all matches. He put the exclamation mark on his transfer stock in this summer's Confederations Cup, where he emerged as a perennial goalscorer against the world's best. 

 

Daniele De Rossi

Clive Rose/Getty Images

One of Italy's best has been reported as a potential new addition for Chelsea, as the Blues continue to court Daniele De Rossi.

According to Martin Lipton of the Mirror Football, the West Londoners are expected to reel in the Roma midfielder as the Italian club signed his possible replacement in Kevin Strootman

The Serie A giants are ready to let De Rossi go after completing the signing of PSV Eindhoven's Kevin Strootman.

But Roma are demanding that the Londoners loan them teenage Brazilian full-back Wallace as part of the £11million transfer of De Rossi, 29.

We revealed last week that Mourinho, who tried to sign De Rossi at both Inter Milan and Real Madrid, believes the Italian will be the perfect fit for the midfield fulcrum of his new-look Blues.

The report goes on to say that Chelsea will bring De Rossi in on a four-year deal worth about £110,000 per week. But a deal isn't likely to go through unless they agree to loan Wallace. 

The 29-year-old De Rossi has emerged as an elite player on the international stage with Italy's national team, and it'll certainly be tough for him to leave a Roma club that is the only place he's played top-level soccer since debuting in 2001. 

Load More Stories

Follow Chelsea from B/R on Facebook

Follow Chelsea from B/R on Facebook and get the latest updates straight to your newsfeed!

Out of Bounds

Chelsea

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.