It was a disappointing home opener for the Mets, but it’s way too early to panic or fire the manager.
The Mets really do need to win this series against the Phillies after losing the two game series to the Braves. You can’t have a successful season and lose too many home series within the division. What we have learned so far:
- Jose Reyes needs to start hitting. He gets the whole offense going when he’s on base.
- The starting pitching needs to get healthy. We need a decent season from Pedro Martinez and some kind of contribution from El Duque.
- The bullpen can be shaky. Schoenweiss, Sosa, and Heilman have all been giving it up early in the season. That needs to turn around quickly.
- Carlos Delgado looks much better offensively than he did last season. He’s still a complete stiff in the field but I can live with that if he’s hitting.
- Angel Pagan looks like he can play. I was worried about him playing every day in left but he looks pretty good so far.
- Brian Schneider is supposed to be here for his defense and he had two passed balls today. He needs to do better than that to justify his weak hitting.
The bottom line is that it looks like this division won’t be a cake walk. The Phillies are really good and the Braves always field a competitive team. The Nationals and Marlins should start to fall away fairly quickly.