It’s an Arsenal-heavy version of the Gossip today, as manager Arsene Wenger prepares to start spending a transfer kitty estimated to be as high as £70 million, according to the Daily Mail. At least three Premier League players are in the Frenchman’s sights, including one that will no doubt raise a few eyebrows.
Elsewhere, Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini is thought to be on the hunt for a pair of centre-forwards and has reportedly put a Confederations Cup star in his crosshairs.
There’s also news regarding Manchester United target Thiago Alcantara and Napoli’s Edinson Cavani, who is thought to have already agreed personal terms at a Premier League contender.
It’s all just a click away, so let’s get to it.
With troublesome forward Carlos Tevez having been offloaded to Juventus during the week, incoming Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini will look to bolster his attack over the coming weeks.
In his sights, according to the Daily Mail, are Benfica marksman Oscar Cardozo and Fluminense frontman Fred.
Thirty-year-old Cardozo scored 25 goals in all competitions for the Portuguese giants last season, while Fred, 29, bagged at least 30 goals in each of his previous two campaigns at Fluminense and has been starring for Brazil at the ongoing Confederations Cup.
Edinson Cavani is one of the most sought-after players reportedly on the market this summer, and according to Eurosport, the 26-year-old has already agreed personal terms with Chelsea.
With a five-year offer worth £7.2 million on the table at Stamford Bridge, Cavani would be willing to make the move to London, although Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis remains adamant that the Blues pay the player’s €63 million release clause.
In other words, there could be some weeks of negotiations until we see the Uruguay star determine his future ahead of the coming season.
Manchester United’s flirtation with Barcelona playmaker Thiago Alcantara hit a new level Sunday, with Goal.com reporting the Red Devils had offered the 22-year-old wages of €140,000 per week—effectively tripling his salary.
The Catalans, however, remain confident they can hold on to the Spanish U-21 star, and last week, club chairman Sandro Rosell met for talks with the player’s father, Mazinho.
Thiago is keen on first-team football for the 2013-14 season—something United would seemingly be able to offer more readily than the Primera Division champions.
Manchester United attacker Wayne Rooney is set for showdown talks with incoming manager David Moyes. Rooney, 27, has twice requested a transfer in under three years and, according to the Mirror, is a £20 million target for Premier League rivals Arsenal.
United, however, have continued to resist offers for Rooney and are confident they can keep him at Old Trafford, perhaps even inking him to a new long-term contract.
The Independent is reporting Blackpool have accepted Cardiff’s bid for winger Thomas Ince.
The 21-year-old (son of Manchester United and England midfielder Paul Ince) scored 18 goals in the Championship last season, and newly-promoted Cardiff are confident he can translate his abilities to the Premier League.
But the player’s father, who also happens to be Blackpool manager, hasn’t ruled out keeping his son at the club another season, saying, “He loves it here and has told me he’s in no rush to leave the club.”
It’s no secret that Barcelona need to bolster their depth at central defense this summer, and it seems Paris Saint-Germain and Brazil defender Thiago Silva is at or near the top of their wish list, according to Marca.
On Friday, the Catalans’ director of football, Raul Sanllehi, arrived in Brazil for talks with the 28-year-old, who is contesting the Confederations Cup.
But PSG are thought to be desperate to keep the player in the French capital, and club president Nasser Al Khelaifi recenty told Marca, “[Zlatan] Ibrahimovic and [Thiago] Silva are staying at the club until the end of their contracts.”
PSG bought both players from AC Milan last summer.
Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain is expected to sign for Arsenal, and Wayne Rooney has been linked with a move to North London as well. But that hasn’t stopped the Gunners from continuing to consider their options—which would now seem to include Chelsea striker Fernando Torres, according to the Mirror.
Torres, 29, scored just eight Premier League goals last season and will only know if incoming manager Jose Mourinho intends to keep him in the squad once the two meet for talks following the Confederations Cup.