Clay Buchholz Injury: Updates on Boston Red Sox Pitcher's Neck

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Clay Buchholz Injury: Updates on Boston Red Sox Pitcher's Neck

Clay Buchholz left the Boston Red Sox's 7-2 win over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on June 8 with a neck injury. He has been out of MLB action since then, but is expected to return to the mound soon.

 

UPDATE: Sunday, Sept. 8, at 12:20 p.m. ET

From Alex Speier of WEEI.com:

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Sunday, Sept. 8, at 11:32 a.m. ET

From Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com:

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Friday, Sept. 6, at 5:20 p.m. ET

From the Boston Red Sox:

 

---End of update---

UPDATE: Tuesday, Sept. 3, at 4:30 p.m. ET

From The Boston Globe's Pete Abraham:

---End of update---

UPDATE: Wednesday, Aug. 28, at 4:34 p.m. ET

Buchholz will be back on the mound soon according to Alex Speier of WEEI.com:

Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal provides the plan for Buchholz in his start:

 ---End of Update---

UPDATE: Monday, Aug. 26, at 9:40 a.m. ET

From WEEI in Boston comes the latest on Buchholz's rehab start:

"Pretty spot on. Pretty spot on," Buchholz told WEEI.com of the course his recovery has taken relative to what Andrews told him might occur. "From that day, moving forward, he couldn't give me an exact time, but he said, 'When you've been getting off the mound, you've basically been re-straining everything that you strained in your shoulder. The more you do that, the more time you're going to miss. You're just going to take two steps back every time you try to take a step forward.' So that's what I was doing. He said it was going to be four weeks from that time. That's about right spot on with today from when I saw him. He was pretty on about it."

 ---End of Update---

UPDATE: Sunday, Aug. 25, at 6:32 p.m. ET

From Pete Abraham of The Boston Globe:

---End of update---


UPDATE: Sunday, Aug. 25, at 3:42 p.m. ET

From the Lowell Spinners:

---End of update---


UPDATE: Sunday, Aug. 25, at 12 p.m. ET

Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald reports that Clay Buchholz could return to Red Sox in less than two weeks:

If everything goes according to plan, Clay Buchholz could pitch for the Red Sox on Sept. 4.

Buchholz is slated to throw about 50 pitches over three innings today for short-season Single-A Lowell in Wappingers Falls, N.Y. His next minor league start is tentatively scheduled for Friday night. But because the minor league season ends Sept. 2, two days before his turn in the rotation would come around again, he likely won’t have a chance to continue his rehab assignment.

Lauber also passed along a statement from Red Sox general manager John Farrell:

Farrell said the Sox are inclined to reinstate Buchholz from the disabled list after only two minor league starts, even if the All-Star right-hander is limited by a pitch count, especially because the team will have a deeper bullpen with expanded September rosters.

'If he’s at four innings, we’d certainly be open-minded to him starting those four innings (in the majors),' Farrell said. 'If they’re going to be four quality innings, I’d rather they be here than in Fort Myers. If he comes back and pitches as he was, it’d be a great pickup.'

---End of update--- 

 

UPDATE: Tuesday, Aug. 6, at 5:05 p.m. ET by Ian Hanford

From CSNNE.com's Maureen Mullen:

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Tuesday, Aug. 6, at 7:40 a.m. ET by Brandon Galvin

From ESPN's Jordan Godwin:

Manager John Farrell said on Monday the team is hopeful that Clay Buchholz will incorporate mound work into a workout on Tuesday, which would be a significant step in his rehab from a right shoulder injury...

... 'The fact is that he’s entering the next phase, which is a positive,' Farrell said. 

From ESPN's Gordon Edes on Sunday, Aug. 4:

'This is the best I’ve felt since the day in Seattle where I threw and didn’t feel anything,’' Buchholz said. 'That’s where we’re at.’

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Thursday, Aug. 1, at 5:05 p.m. ET by Ian Hanford

Boston Herald reporter Scott Lauber has an update on Buchholz:

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Monday, July 29, at 4:06 p.m. ET by Tom Kinslow

Maureen Mullen of CSNNE.com has an update on Clay Buchholz's status.

---End of update--- 

 

UPDATE: Monday, July 22, at 4:26 p.m. ET by Tom Kinslow

Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe has the latest on Clay Buchholz.

---End of update--- 


 

UPDATE: Sunday, July 21, at 12:45 p.m. ET by Brandon Galvin

WEEI's Rob Bradford has the latest on Clay Buchholz:

It looks like Clay Buchholz will be making a visit to Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion on the shoulder/trap injury that just won’t go away.

It’s a strategy Buchholz’ agent, John Courtright, first mentioned and the organization appears to be supportive of.

'I don’t see why I wouldn’t,' said Buchholz, who noted the plans hadn’t been finalized, but that’s the direction things were headed.

... 'Obviously I don’t really know why it’s taking as long as it is. That’s definitely part of it, for me at least,' said Buchholz regarding seeking a sense of closure thanks to Dr. Andrews’ diagnosis. 'Obviously knowing the MRIs and all things I’ve done, they show there’s nothing going on in there. But there’s something going because it doesn’t feel right. Just knowing exactly what is going on will probably help out a lot.'

---End of update--- 

 

UPDATE: Thursday, July 18, at 7:59 p.m. ET by Ian Hanford

ESPN's Gordon Edes reports:

Any optimism that Clay Buchholz soon would be returning to the mound faded Thursday after Red Sox manager John Farrell announced that because of lingering soreness that resurfaced on the team's West Coast trip, Buchholz's scheduled bullpen session was scratched.

Instead, Buchholz is now slated to be re-examined Friday by team orthopedist Peter Asnis.

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Monday, July 15, at 4:07 p.m. ET by Tom Kinslow

Rob Bradford of WEEI:

---End of update---



UPDATE: Wednesday, July 10, at 3:15 p.m. ET by Brandon Galvin

WEEI.com's Rod Bradford has the latest from Red Sox manager John Farrell regarding Clay Buchholz:

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Tuesday, July 2, at 4:48 p.m. ET by Tom Kinslow

Sean McAdam of Comcast Sportsnet has an update on Clay Buchholz's rehab as he tries to return from a neck injury.

---End of update---
 

 

UPDATE: Thursday, June 27, at 4:40 p.m. ET by Tom Kinslow

The Red Sox got some good news today regarding Clay Buchholz's status following a setback during the rehab of his injured neck, via Sean McAdam of Comcast Sportsnet.

---End of update---
 
 

UPDATE: Wednesday, June 26, at 2:30 p.m. ET by Tom Kinslow

Sean McAdam of Comcast Sportsnet has reaction from Clay Buchholz on the latest setback in his rehab.

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Wednesday, June 26, at 1:15 p.m. ET by Tom Kinslow
 
 
Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal has some bad news for Red Sox fans who were hoping to see Clay Buchholz on the mound in the near future.

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Saturday, June 20, at 6:27 p.m. ET by Eric Ball

Buchholz's injury isn't progressing as fast as the Red Sox would like, and it sounds like he will be spending at least a few more days on the DL according to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald:

Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com believes he'll need a rehab start before returning to the Red Sox:

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Thursday, June 20, at 5:29 p.m. ET by Ian Hanford

According to Providence Journal reporter Brian MacPherson, Buchholz is making major progress toward returning to the mound:

 

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Tuesday, June 18, at 8:30 p.m. ET by Ian Hanford

According to CBS' Danny Knobler, Buchholz won't be back on the mound anytime soon:

---End of update---

 

Original Text

According to CBS Sports' Mike Axisa:

Clay Buchholz left Saturday's start after 6 2/3 innings and 104 pitches due to apparent injury. The Red Sox right-hander called the trainer out to the mound and left before attempting to throw a test pitch.

It was a rough game physically for Buchholz, and he could have been injured a number of ways. He fell hard while covering first base early in the game and took a line drive off the left wrist in the middle innings, but replays showed him flexing his right arm immediately prior to signaling for a trainer.

Axisa then went on to write an update that the Red Sox announced Buchholz was suffering from a stiff neck resulting from the fall covering first.

Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal noted that Sox pitching coach Juan Nieves was not worried that the injury was serious:

Buchholz gave up six hits and two earned runs before leaving the game. You can understand why John Farrell would want to take whatever precautions necessary in order to keep Buchholz as healthy as possible.

The team signed him to a six-year extension in April 2011, so there's no need to risk him for a game in June.

Although a stiff neck is unlikely to sideline Buchholz for very long, any time off the field wouldn't come at a worse time for Boston. The 28-year-old is having a career year. You don't want him to do anything that would halt his momentum.

Buchholz is leading the major leagues in ERA (1.71) and is tied with Adam Wainwright and Patrick Corbin for wins (nine). He's also yet to lose a game.

Expectations were a bit muted for the Red Sox coming into the year after the disastrous tenure of Bobby Valentine. Instead, Boston finds itself first in the AL East with a 38-25 record, 1.5 games ahead of the New York Yankees.

Much of that has been a result of Buchholz's fantastic season.

Load More Stories

Follow Boston Red Sox from B/R on Facebook

Follow Boston Red Sox from B/R on Facebook and get the latest updates straight to your newsfeed!

Boston Red Sox

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.