Shaun Botterill/Getty Images
While stadium safety is on the minds of many considering recent concerns about international terrorism, any potential problems for Brazil 2014 should be adequately addressed in the oncoming year before the finals kick off on June 12, 2014
If Mexico can organize a World Cup and make stadium repairs less than nine months after an earthquake with a magnitude of 8.1, then Brazil can do the same in regards to fan safety.
Having traveled the length and breadth of the world, literally, many thousands of fans will be more than happy to know that the stadiums at Brazil 2014 will be among the very best in the world.
At the moment, most of the stadiums are still under construction, but by the time the World Cup comes around, they will be more than ready.
The stadiums and respective locations are:
- Maracana, in Rio de Janeiro (capacity 85,000)
- Arena Itaquera, in Sao Paulo (68,000)
- Fonte Nova, in Salvador (50,000)
- Arena Amazonia, in Manaus (46,000)
- Arena Pantanal, in Cuiaba (42,500)
- Arena da Baixada, in Curitiba (32,864)
- Mineirao, in Belo Horizonte (70,000)
- Arena Pernambuco, in Recife (46,140)
- Arena das Dunas, in Natal (45,000)
- Castelao, in Fortaleza (58,400)
- Beira-Rio, in Porto Alegre (56,000)
- National Stadium Mane Garrincha, in Brasilia (42,200)
The very mention of the Maracana is enough to bring misty eyes to the most hardened of Brazilian football fans. Every child playing football dreams of scoring at Wembley or the Maracana, often with the help of the likes of Bobby Charlton or Pele.
It was in 1950, in front of a record 199,854 fans at the Maracana that Uruguay pulled off the biggest final upset of all-time when it beat Brazil, 2-1. Uruguay will be hoping for a repeat in 2014 while Brazil will be hoping to claim its sixth title in 20 tournaments.
Today, the stadium has been completely renovated and remodeled and will be the largest in the competition, hosting the championship match on July 13, 2014, with a capacity of just over 85,000.
Bleacher Report's Nick Akerman offered his own power ranking for the World Cup 2014 Stadiums.