Paul Daley Claims Bellator Denied Multiple Opponents for Upcoming Fight Offered

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Paul Daley Claims Bellator Denied Multiple Opponents for Upcoming Fight Offered

Bellator welterweight Paul Daley is not a happy man with his employer these days after having several opponents denied by the promotion while he attempts to stay busy competing overseas.

Daley signed a long-term deal with Bellator in 2012 and was expected to be a part of the last welterweight tournament the promotion kicked off earlier this year, but a legal entanglement in his home country of England prevented him from traveling to the United States.

While the British heavy hitter is barred from obtaining a travel visa to get to the United States, he's done his best to stay busy with other fights outside of Bellator.  Since the situation first arose, Daley has been able to fight twice, winning on both occasions by knockout in the second round.

Bellator has final approval on any fights that Daley takes outside of the promotion because of his contract with them, but it appears his latest request was denied and the former UFC competitor is none too pleased with the decision.

"Just got word Bellator have refused to allow me to fight yet another opponent," Daley wrote on his Facebook page on Wednesday.  "It's becoming really frustrating that even though they are not my managers, they can approve my fights.

"I've got great fights offered to keep me busy fighting and earning, and they seem to want to put a stop to this.  All this while having to pay for my own legal costs on a matter that influence my visa outcome and my ability to fight for Bellator.  It's bulls—t."

Daley also confirmed the information later in a message to Bleacher Report, with no resolution in sight to allow him to compete on an upcoming card. 

The embattled welterweight was offered a fight on an upcoming Cage Warriors show in Ireland—a promotion he fought for previously under Bellator contract—but apparently there was no agreement on an opponent.

According to Daley in a later response via his Facebook post, the promotion offered names such as former UFC welterweight Che Mills, Cage Warriors welterweight champion Cathall Pendred, Bruno Carvalho and Benjamin Brinsa, all of whom (according to the fighter) were denied by Bellator.

Bleacher Report did reach out to Bellator about the Daley situation, but representatives said "no comment" on the matter at this time.

A few weeks ago, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney spoke to Bleacher Report about the Daley situation, but sounded unclear if or when he would be able to compete for the promotion again.

"I talk to Paul via email like once a week and we've had a couple of conversations with a solicitor (attorney in England), and we've had a bunch of conversations with his solicitor in the U.K. Paul cannot get into the United States right now," Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney told Bleacher Report.  "The United States will not approve his visa because of the charges pending against him. So, right now the answer is no (he will not be in Bellator in 2013). God willing that changes."

Another interesting note to Daley's complaint about Bellator is an apparent charge the promotion is levying on any organization employing him for a fight.

"There's a lot more too," Daley said via Facebook.  "With regards to other promoters having to pay Bellator a 'booking fee' for using me on their shows.  Terrible."

Needless to say, Daley is disgruntled about the current situation with Bellator, but there's been no word on how this will play out for now.

Damon Martin is a Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

 

Load More Stories

Follow B/R on Facebook

MMA

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.