Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew Under Investigation After Alleged Assault

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew Under Investigation After Alleged Assault

Jacksonville Jaguars star running back Maurice Jones-Drew is under investigation for battery following an incident at a restaurant where he struck a security guard.

UPDATE: Tuesday, June 11, at 4:50 p.m. ET by Kyle Vassalo

Maurice Jones apologized to the Jaguars, according to Gus Bradley, via Paul Kuharsky of ESPN:

"I think the biggest thing was that this team is important to him, that he so badly wants to be out here with them," Bradley said. "He did apologize for having a distraction to the team, it's the last thing that we needed. He also wanted them to know he appreciated their support.

---End of Update---

UPDATE: Monday, June 10, at 2:20 p.m. ET by Tom Kinslow

Maurice Jones-Drew spoke to the media today but refused to address the alleged assault at a restaurant in late May, per Mark Long of the Associated Press. The Jaguars running back said that decision was made based on the advice of his legal team.

---End of update---


UPDATE: Monday, June 3, at 4:19 p.m. ET by Brandon Galvin

The Jaguars have reportedly reached out to Maurice Jones-Drew regarding last week's incident, according to ESPN's Ed Werder.

Jacksonville Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell and coach Gus Bradley spoke with running back Maurice Jones-Drew late last week regarding allegations he assaulted a security guard at a restaurant in St. Augustine, Fla., according to league sources.

The conversation took place over the phone as Jones-Drew is rehabbing from foot surgery in Miami with the team's permission.

He will not be in attendance when the Jaguars resume organized team activities Tuesday but is expected to be present for mandatory minicamp next week, even though he is unlikely to participate.

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Saturday, June 1, at 2:44 p.m. ET by Kyle Vassalo

According to Ryan O'Halloran of Jacksonville.com, Maurice Jones Drew has not met with police yet:

"The attorney for Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew said his client has not met with St. Augustine Police investigators regarding last Sunday night’s altercation at the Conch House.

In an email to the Times-Union today, Hank Coxe said it hasn’t been determined when Jones-Drew will meet with the police.

“It’s affected by lots of different schedules so [meeting] not set yet,” Coxe said."

---End of Update---

UPDATE: Thursday, May 30 at 11:35 a.m. ET by Sam Westmoreland

The attorney for the security guard who was allegedly assaulted by Jones-Drew has released a statement, according to Ryan O'Halloran of the Florida Times-Union.

Per that statement:

This past Sunday, May 26, during Reggae Sunday at the Conch House Marina Resort, Jacksonville Jaguars [player] Maurice Jones-Drew viciously attacked and severely injured Conch House’s security officer, Kasim Howard, 31, of St. Augustine. At the time Mr. Jones-Drew attacked him, Mr. Howard was attempting to protect several female patrons from harassment by members of Mr. Jones-Drew’s entourage.  Prior to the attack, Mr. Howard never saw, spoke with, let alone confronted Mr. Jones-Drew. Conch House security video captures Mr. Jones-Drew rapidly approaching Mr. Howard from the back-left side and sucker punching him in the jaw. As a result of this attack, Mr. Howard suffered a dislocated jaw and spinal injuries. He was hospitalized, later released and is recovering at home.

The current attempts by some to characterize this as a ‘scuffle’ are misleading and unsupported by any evidence.  Any fair-minded person watching the video has to conclude that Mr. Jones-Drew initiated an unprovoked attack on Mr. Howard and then literally ran away from the scene. The videos, in addition to virtually all eyewitness accounts, unequivocally prove that Mr. Jones-Drew attacked the security officer without provocation. 

Jones-Drew's agent states that the running back's position on the matter has been the same since the start, per Ian Rapoport

---End of update---


UPDATE: Thursday, May 30, at 10:50 a.m. ET by Sam Westmoreland

Maurice Jones-Drew's potential legal woes have continued, and is believed that a resolution to the incident won't come until next week, according to a report from NFL Network's Ian Rapoport

Per Rapoport: 

Per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, Jones-Drew will meet with police Friday to provide a statement.  By next week, he’ll learn whether charges will be pursued.

---End of update---


TMZ confirmed that while police initially reported that charges had been filed, they "misrepresented" the situation. 

Now, a rep for the S.A.P.D. tells TMZ ... they screwed up and "misrepresented" the situation. 

According to cops ... no charges have been filed against Jones-Drew, however, he IS being investigated for allegedly punching a security guard in the face ... and is a "person of interest."

Cops say Jones-Drew and his attorney are being cooperative with the investigation. After the investigation is complete, we're told the case will be sent to the State Attorney's office, which will determine if charges will be filed.

Ryan O'Halloran of The Florida Times-Union had the initial confirmation of TMZ's first report from the authorities.

From TMZ's initial report:

According to the police report obtained by TMZ, MJD is accused of striking the security guard with a closed fist on the guard's left cheek, knocking him out.

According to cops, the punch was intentional.

The report states Jones-Drew was at The Conch House Marina Resort restaurant in St. Augustine, Florida when security advised a member of his group to stop making contact with a female. Chaos allegedly ensued after the acquaintance got physical with the security guard.

That's when Jones-Drew reportedly got involved, punching a security guard and causing injuries described as a jaw that was "swollen a great deal and had a large lump." No broken bones were found in a subsequent hospital trip.   

TMZ reached out to Jones-Drew's camp for comment about the incident but didn't receive a reply. The entire ordeal reportedly occurred on May 26. No further details were provided.

O'Halloran also reported that the Jaguars are aware of the situation.

Until more information becomes available about the nature and severity of the charges, it will remain unclear how Jones-Drew will be impacted moving forward. Of course, he is the centerpiece of a Jacksonville offense that is already without wide receiver Justin Blackmon for the first four games of the 2013 season.

The NFL treats off-field incidents like this very seriously, but any sort of disciplinary action won't come into play until all of the details surrounding the situation are provided by police.

 

Load More Stories
Jacksonville Jaguars

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.