If Nick Diaz Returns to Fighting, UFC Interested in Carlos Condit Rematch
Following a UFC 158 loss to Georges St-Pierre in Canada, Nick Diaz announced that unless he was receiving an immediate rematch he was likely retired from the sport of mixed martial arts.
This wasn't the first time Diaz hinted around at walking away from the sport, but in the two months since then, the Stockton, Calif. native has kept fairly quiet until recently when it was announced he was entering the fight promotion business.
WAR mixed martial arts—a Nick Diaz promotion—has applied for a promoter's license in the state of California and has targeted a late-June date for its first show. Diaz along with attorney Jonathan Tweedale are in charge of the promotion, and it's keeping the former UFC welterweight contender busy outside of his own fight career.
Still it's hard to ignore at just 29-years of age, Diaz would seem to have plenty of time left in the fight game if he chooses to return.
The always colorful fighter's name came up to UFC President Dana White on Thursday during a media gathering ahead of UFC 160, and it's obvious he hasn't been in contact with Diaz since the end of UFC 158 in March.
The question came up about a potential fight for Diaz in the UFC, and White reacted with some surprise believing that he was retired and trying his hand at promotion instead of fighting.
"I thought he was a retired promoter now? Is that not the case?" White asked when Diaz's name came up.
White, who has had plenty of experience in promoting fights over the years including the years where the UFC incurred massive debt while trying to get off the ground, wished Diaz the best, but said he shouldn't expect a windfall of cash anytime soon.
"Good for him," White said about Diaz's new promotion. "Welcome to the losing money business."
White's comment came with a laugh, but in all reality very few MMA promotions survive more than a few shows in the current market without a major financial backer supporting along the way.
If Diaz decides to return to fighting, White has no problem accepting him back even if he's still promoting in his own organization. Other fighters have done it in the past, and White is happy to give Diaz a fight if he opts to compete again.
As far as matchups go for Diaz, the one name that came up was former interim UFC welterweight champion Carlos Condit.
Condit defeated Diaz to win the interim belt in 2012 in a close fight that stirred quite a bit of controversy with certain perceptions of how the fight was scored. Following the conclusion of the bout, Condit was ready to accept a rematch with Diaz, but the Stockton bad boy tested positive for marijuana for the second time in the state of Nevada and ended up with a one-year suspension from the sport instead.
Now with Condit sitting idle without a fight currently, White appeared open to making the rematch with Diaz if he decides to come out of retirement.
"Sure," White answered when asked if he was interested in Condit vs. Diaz 2.
Diaz has made no public statement if he has any intention of ever returning to fighting, and with his new promotion just about to get off the ground, his mind may be occupied with other matters. Still, it has to be tempting for Diaz to get a chance to avenge a loss and add another big payday by facing Condit in the UFC.
Damon Martin is a Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report and all quotes were obtained first hand unless otherwise noted.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?