Summer Transfer Window Gossip: Gareth Bale, Dani Alves, Andre Schurrle
The final weekend of the Premier League season followed a familiar pattern for fans of Tottenham Hotspur. Gareth Bale scored and Spurs won—but narrowly missed out on Champions League qualification.
Now comes uncharted territory. Will Bale, the budding 23-year-old superstar, stay with the club this summer or seek a new challenge?
That story leads this Monday edition of the B/R Summer Transfer Window Gossip Roundup. Inside, we also have updates on Andre Schurrle, Carlos Tevez, Gonzalo Higuain and Dani Alves.
Keep reading for all the details.
Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Gareth Bale is set to confirm he has signed a new contract worth £130,000 per week, according to Simon Johnson and Tom Collomosse of the London Evening Standard.
According to the report, Tottenham will allow Bale to leave next summer if they receive a bid of more than £50 million.
Bale, 23, scored 21 goals in 33 Premier League appearances this season as Spurs narrowly missed out on a top-four finish.
Manager Andre Villas-Boas has said Tottenham must keep Bale despite the lack of Champions League football next season. Real Madrid are thought to be interested as well, according to Phil McNulty of BBC Sport.
Andre Schurrle says he hopes he has played his last game for Bayer Leverkusen. The 22-year-old German international forward has been linked with a transfer to Chelsea, according to Stephan Uersfeld of ESPN FC.
Earlier this month, reports emerged suggesting Schurrle had already signed a contract with Chelsea. The Blues were reportedly interested in Schurrle last summer as well, according to Kicker magazine via BBC Sport.
"I'd like to think this was my last game for Leverkusen," Schurrle told reporters after Leverkusen defeated Hamburg 1-0 on Saturday. "We had everything lined up. Leverkusen will get everything they asked for. It has been a brutal time for me, those past two months."
Carlos Tevez, Gonzalo Higuain
Italian champions Juventus are interested in Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez and Real Madrid forward Gonzalo Higuain, according to Neil McLeman of the Daily Mirror.
Tevez, 29, scored 11 goals in 34 Premier League appearances this season. He signed a five-year contract with City in 2009 but has been linked with PSG and Monaco in addition to Juventus, also according to the Mirror.
Tevez has said he would have "no problem" playing in the French league, according to ESPN FC.
Higuain, 25, has scored 14 La Liga goals in 26 appearances this season. He has also been linked with Arsenal, according to a report from Charles Perrin of the Express, via the Spanish paper Sport.
Juventus sporting director Beppe Marotta said: “I have to say that Higuain is a bit younger and has a higher market value. Tevez on the other hand has a year left on his contract so maybe between the two, the Tevez deal is easier."
Barcelona defender Dani Alves says he would not dismiss an approach from Paris Saint-Germain this summer, according to Ian Holyman of ESPN FC.
Alves, 30, joined Barcelona from Sevilla in 2008. He has two years remaining on his contract.
"I will never close the door on PSG or to another club. They're recruiting great players to try and do something beautiful in football," Alves said. "They lack a little continuity in their squad, but they're on the right track. Some big stars and other players of great quality have arrived."
Monaco are also interested, according to the report.
Tottenham Hotspur will again target Porto midfielder Joao Moutinho (pictured) this summer, according to Mike McGrath of The Sun.
Swansea defender Ashley Williams says he expects to remain with the club next season despite reported interest from Arsenal and Liverpool, according to London Evening Standard.
Sevilla midfielder Jesus Navas, 27, could join Manchester City this summer, according to Alex Shaw of talkSPORT.
Manuel Pellegrini, who is expected to be City's next boss, wants to sign defender Pepe from Real Madrid according to J.I. García-Ochoa of Marca.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!