Johnny Cueto Injury: Updates on Reds Star's Arm

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Johnny Cueto Injury: Updates on Reds Star's Arm

Cincinnati Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto left Saturday's National League Central road clash with the Pittsburgh Pirates in the fifth inning with an apparent right triceps injury.

UPDATE: Friday, May 10, at 11:30 a.m. ET by Kyle Vassalo

According to Trent Rosecrans of Cincinnati.com, Cueto should be ready to make his next rehab start on his regular 4-day rest:

Reds Opening Day starter Johnny Cueto threw 50 pitches in three innings for Class-A Dayton on Thursday and should be ready to make his next rehab start on his regular four-day rest.

---End of Update---

UPDATE: Wednesday, May 8, at 11:56 a.m. ET by Brandon Galvin

Great news for Reds fans as Johnny Cueto continues to make progress, according to MLB's Mark Sheldon.

The Reds will be off on Thursday but ace Johnny Cueto will be at the ballpark to get some work in. Cueto said he was scheduled to have another bullpen session...

... Asked if there were plans yet for a rehab assignment, Cueto said he hadn’t heard.

Cueto has been on the 15-day DL with a strained right lat but had a setback last week during an exam when he felt soreness in the right oblique.

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Monday, May 6, at 5:52 p.m. EDT by Eric Ball

Cueto threw a 25 pitch bullpen session today according to C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer. Head trainer Paul Lessard believes he’ll need one more bullpen session before beginning a rehab assignment.

Lessard spoke briefly about the outing (via Enquirer):

“He looked very good and he said he felt very good. He’ll see (Reds medical director Timothy) Kremchek and we’ll see where we go from here.”


--End of Update--


 

UPDATE: Sunday, April 14, at 5:52 p.m. EDT by Eric Ball

While the extent of the injury is still up in the air, Cueto is officially heading to the disabled list, according to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports: 

--End of Update--

 

Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette broke the news:

The Cincinnati Enquirer's John Fay provided the specifics behind Cueto's exit:

To that point, Cueto had yielded just two hits and one earned run while striking out three batters to keep the Reds knotted at 1-1 at PNC Park.

Cueto entered the contest with a 1-0 record and a 2.77 ERA in the young 2013 season, and Cincinnati will certainly hope that its star hurler won't be out of the rotation for too long.

Can the Reds still repeat as division champions if Johnny Cueto misses extended time?

Submit Vote vote to see results
The 27-year-old is coming off a career season in which he went 19-9 with a stellar 2.78 ERA, and he is flashing similarly solid form thus far.

The Reds currently sport a 5-5 record and will be holding their collective breath over this latest potential setback suffered by Cueto. He has a history of injuries, including a notable biceps injury that caused him to miss 33 games in 2011.

A mildly strained oblique suffered just eight pitches into last year's postseason was part of what stymied the team's bid to make a deep playoff run. Cueto couldn't start Game 4, which the eventual World Series champion San Francisco Giants won 8-3. They proceeded to close out the Central Division champion Reds in five games.

Cueto's evaluation on Sunday will be critical in shaping how the Reds' season will go for the foreseeable future.

Load More Stories

Follow Cincinnati Reds from B/R on Facebook

Follow Cincinnati Reds from B/R on Facebook and get the latest updates straight to your newsfeed!

Cincinnati Reds

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.