Wichita State 68
(30-9, 7-5 away)
(2) Louisville 72
(34-5, 15-1 home)
Venue: Georgia Dome
6:09PM ET / 3:09PM PT, April 06, 2013
||C Early 24
||C Early 10
||M Armstead 7
||R Smith 21
||C Behanan 9
||R Smith 3
No. 1-seeded Louisville got a major victory against No. 9-seeded Wichita State 72-68 in the Final Four on Saturday, Apr. 6. The Cardinals were led by Luke Hancock, who put up 20 points and four rebounds. Chane Behanan also had a strong outing, scoring 10 points and adding nine rebounds. Cleanthony Early got a double-double for the Shockers on a game-high 24 points and 10 rebounds. The win streak for the Cardinals now stands at 15 games. Wichita State wraps up the season with a 30-9 record. The Shockers got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Creighton 68-65 in the Missouri Valley Tournament In the regular season, they finished second in the Missouri Valley with a 12-6 conference record. In making the Final Four, Wichita State topped No. 8-seeded Pittsburgh 73-55 in the second round and No. 1-seeded Gonzaga 76-70 in the third round. The Shockers also got through No. 13-seeded La Salle 72-58 in the Sweet Sixteen and No. 2-seeded Ohio State 70-66 in the Elite Eight. Louisville (34-5, 14-4 Big East) plays To Be Announced in the Championship Game on Monday, Apr. 8.
Louisville Game Notes
- The win over Wichita State extended the Louisville winning streak to 15 games.
- The Cardinals have won six close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Louisville is 30-26 in close games.
- The Cardinals have won every game this season (5-0) after recording nine or more three-pointers.
- Louisville has won every game this season (14-0) when its three-point percentage has been 36.0 percent or better.
- Louisville has won 90 percent of the time this season (9-1) after committing nine or fewer turnovers.
- Lville has won every game this season (6-0) when opponents record one or fewer blocks.
- Lville has won 85 percent of the time this season (17-3) after holding an opponent to under 30.0 percent three-point percentage.
- This season Louisville has won 94 percent of the time (15-1) when Chane Behanan has 10 points or more, 80 percent of the time (16-4) when Gorgui Dieng plays 30 minutes or more, and 91 percent of the time (21-2) when Russ Smith has six field goals made or more.
- The Cardinals have recorded more free throws made than their opponents for the past six games.
- This is the fifth win of the season where the Cardinals came back after being down at halftime.
- The top two scorers (Russ Smith and Luke Hancock) accounted for 56.9 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Chane Behanan and Gorgui Dieng) accounted for 45.4 percent of the rebounds.
- Russ Smith has led the team in scoring in 26 out of 39 games this season.
- Chane Behanan has led the team in rebounding in 11 out of 39 games this season.
- This marks the 24th 20-point game of Russ Smith's career.
- Russ Smith has five straight 20+ point games.
- This marks the second 20-point game of Luke Hancock's career.
Wichita State Game Notes
- The Shockers have lost six times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Wichita State is 28-34 in close games.
- Cleanthony Early accounted for 35.2 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Cleanthony Early and Ron Baker) accounted for 50.0 percent of the rebounds.
- Cleanthony Early has led the team in scoring 15 times and in rebounding 11 times in 39 games this season.
- This marks the seventh 20-point game of Cleanthony Early's career.
- Cleanthony Early recorded a double-double. It was the fourth of his career.
|D+||Fred Van Vleet||23||3||1||3||0||0||3|
|C||S. Van Treese||10||0||3||0||1||1||0|