On a night when they mustered only 26.1 percent from the floor, No. 3-seeded Iowa lost big against No. 2-seeded Baylor 74-54 to the NIT championship game. The game remained close at halftime, as Iowa trailed just 27-22 but Baylor took control in second half and won easily. Iowa completes the season with a 25-13 overall record. In the regular season, they finished sixth in the Big Ten with a 9-9 conference record. On the way to the NIT championship, Iowa went through No. 6-seeded Indiana State 68-52 in the first round and No. 7-seeded Stony Brook 75-63 in the second round. Following that, the Hawkeyes got through No. 1-seeded Virginia 75-64 in the quarterfinals and No. 2-seeded Maryland 71-60 in the semifinals. Aaron White put up 12 points and six rebounds in a losing effort. Roy Devyn Marble had six points. Isaiah Austin finished with 15 points and nine rebounds (5 Blk 4 Ast) for the Bears. Baylor (23-14) finished the regular season sixth in the Big 12 with a 9-9 record. Through their NIT run, Baylor got through No. 7-seeded Long Beach State 112-66 in the first round and No. 3-seeded Arizona State 89-86 in the second round. Following that, the Bears got through No. 4-seeded Providence 79-68 in the quarterfinals and No. 3-seeded Brigham Young 76-70 in the semifinals.
Iowa Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 3:30 left to go.
- Iowa has lost 80 percent of the time this season (2-8) after recording 13 or fewer free throws made.
- When the opposition records 74 or more total points this season, Iowa has lost 100 percent of the time (0-5).
- When the opposition records 18 or more free throws made this season, Iowa has lost 83 percent of the time (1-5).
- When the opposition records 26 or more field goals made this season, Iowa has lost 75 percent of the time (2-6).
- Iowa set season lows for blocks (zero), field goal percentage (26.1), and total points (54).
- The top two scorers (Mike Gesell and Aaron White) accounted for 46.2 percent of the points.
- Mike Gesell has led the team in scoring in six out of 38 games this season.
- Zach McCabe has led the team in rebounding in three out of 38 games this season.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Eric May.
Baylor Game Notes
- A.J. Walton recorded a team season high in steals with six.
- Cory Jefferson accounted for 31.0 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Isaiah Austin and Cory Jefferson) accounted for 42.1 percent of the rebounds.
- Cory Jefferson has led the team in scoring eight times in 37 games this season.
- Isaiah Austin has led the team in rebounding 18 times in 37 games this season.
- This game was the 11th double-digit assist game of Pierre Jackson's career.
- Pierre Jackson has 12 straight double-digit point games.
- Pierre Jackson recorded a double-double. It was his sixth this season and 11th of his career.
- A.J. Walton set a career high with six steals.
- This marks the eighth 20-point game of Cory Jefferson's career.
- Cory Jefferson has four straight 20+ point games.