No. 3-seeded Brigham Young was beaten by No. 2-seeded Baylor 76-70 in the semifinals of the NIT on Tuesday, Apr. 2. With the loss, the Cougars remain winless against Baylor this season at 0-2. Nate Austin got nine points and 11 rebounds in the loss. Matt Carlino was active from three-point range, going five for 14 on the way to 19 points (6 Reb 5 Ast). Pierre Jackson registered a double-double for the Bears with a team-high 24 points and 10 assists. Brigham Young closes out the season with a 24-12 record. In the regular season, they finished third in the West Coast with a 10-6 record in conference play. In making the semifinals, Brigham Young beat No. 6-seeded Washington 90-79 in the first round, No. 7-seeded Mercer 90-71 in the second round, and then No. 1-seeded Southern Miss 79-62 in the quarterfinals.
Brigham Young Game Notes
- Brigham Young has lost 79 percent of the time this season (3-11) after recording 70 or fewer total points.
- When the opposition records 19 or more free throws made this season, Brigham Young has lost 80 percent of the time (2-8).
- BYU set a season low for assists (nine).
- The Cougars have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past seven games.
- Matt Carlino recorded a team season high in three pointers attempted with 14.
- Tyler Haws accounted for 35.7 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Nate Austin and Brock Zylstra) accounted for 42.5 percent of the rebounds.
- Tyler Haws has led the team in scoring in 21 out of 36 games this season.
- Nate Austin has led the team in rebounding in four out of 36 games this season.
- This marks the 29th 20-point game of Tyler Haws's career.
- Tyler Haws has six straight 20+ point games.
- Nate Austin recorded the second double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Nate Austin had career highs with 11 rebounds and seven offensive rebounds.
- Matt Carlino has six straight double-digit point games.
- Matt Carlino had a career high with five three-pointers.
- Brandon Davies has 20 straight double-digit point games.
Baylor Game Notes
- Pierre Jackson accounted for 31.5 percent of the team's points.
- Isaiah Austin accounted for 30.3 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Pierre Jackson has led the team in scoring 22 times in 36 games this season.
- Isaiah Austin has led the team in rebounding 17 times in 36 games this season.
- This marks the 23rd 20-point game of Pierre Jackson's career.
- Pierre Jackson has three straight 20+ point games.
- Pierre Jackson recorded a double-double. It was his fifth this season and 10th of his career.
- This marks the seventh 20-point game of Cory Jefferson's career.
- Cory Jefferson has three straight 20+ point games.
- Isaiah Austin recorded the 14th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Isaiah Austin recorded a double-double. It was the 11th of his career.