Wichita State 70
(30-8, 7-5 away)
(7) Ohio State 66
(29-8, 16-2 home)
Venue: Staples Center
7:05PM ET / 4:05PM PT, March 30, 2013
||M Armstead 14
||C Early 7
||M Armstead 3
||D Thomas 21
||S Scott 7
||D Thomas 3
No. 9-seeded Wichita State got a victory over No. 2-seeded Ohio State 70-66 in the Elite Eight on Saturday, Mar. 30. Malcolm Armstead paced the Shockers and put up a team-high 14 points and seven rebounds (3 Ast 3 Stl). Cleanthony Early had 12 points and added seven rebounds. For the Buckeyes, LaQuinton Ross got 19 points and five rebounds. Ohio State wraps up the season with a 29-8 record. The Buckeyes got to the NCAA Tournament as the Big Ten champion after beating Wisconsin 50-43 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished second in the Big Ten with a 13-5 conference record. In making the Elite Eight, Ohio State beat No. 15-seeded Iona 95-70 in the second round, No. 10-seeded Iowa State 78-75 in the third round, and then No. 6-seeded Arizona 73-70 in the Sweet Sixteen.
Wichita State Game Notes
- The win over Ohio State extended the Wichita State winning streak to four games.
- WSU beat the spread by 8.5 points. That makes the 21st time this season the Shockers have beaten the spread.
- The Shockers have won six close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Wichita State is 28-33 in close games.
- Prior to this game, WSU played 14 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 7-7.
- The Shockers have won every game this season (8-0) after recording 18 or more free throws made.
- Wichita State has won 84 percent of the time this season (16-3) after committing 12 or fewer turnovers.
- Wichita State has won 83 percent of the time this season (10-2) when its three-point percentage has been 40.0 percent or better.
- WSU has won every game this season (4-0) after holding an opponent to under 31.1 percent field goal percentage.
- WSU has won 94 percent of the time this season (16-1) when opponents record 19 or fewer field goals made.
- This season Wichita State has won 91 percent of the time (20-2) when Cleanthony Early has 12 points or more, 75 percent of the time (6-2) when Tekele Cotton plays 30 minutes or more, and 75 percent of the time (6-2) when Malcolm Armstead has six field goals made or more.
- The Shockers have recorded more assists than their opponents for the past four games.
- Malcolm Armstead recorded a team season high in field goals attempted with 21.
- Malcolm Armstead has led the team in scoring seven times and in rebounding 3 times in 38 games this season.
- Carl Hall had a career high with six blocks.
Ohio State Game Notes
- The Buckeyes have lost four times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Ohio State is 26-24 in close games.
- Deshaun Thomas accounted for 31.8 percent of the team's points.
- Deshaun Thomas has led the team in scoring 29 times in 37 games this season.
- Aaron Craft has led the team in rebounding three times in 37 games this season.
- Aaron Craft set a career high with seven defensive rebounds.
- This marks the 29th 20-point game of Deshaun Thomas's career.
- Deshaun Thomas has four straight 20+ point games.
- Shannon Scott set a career high with five offensive rebounds.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Lenzelle Smith Jr..
- LaQuinton Ross has three straight double-digit point games.
|B+||Fred Van Vleet||24||12||3||2||2||0||1|
|C||L. Smith Jr.||23||5||3||0||1||0||0|