(16) Syracuse 55
(30-9, 5-5 away)
(15) Marquette 39
(26-9, 16-0 home)
Venue: Verizon Center
4:30PM ET / 1:30PM PT, March 30, 2013
||J Southerland 16
||M Carter-Williams 11
||M Carter-Williams 5
||D Gardner 14
||D Gardner 7
||J Wilson 2
On Saturday, Mar. 30, No. 3-seeded Marquette was smoked by No. 4-seeded Syracuse 55-39 in the Elite Eight. With the loss, the season series with Syracuse is now even at 1-1. Davante Gardner put up 14 points and seven rebounds for the Golden Eagles. Vander Blue had 14 points and added five rebounds. Michael Carter-Williams registered a double-double for the Orange with 12 points and 11 rebounds (5 Ast 3 Stl). Marquette closes out the season with a 26-9 record. The Golden Eagles got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Notre Dame 73-65 in the Big East Tournament. In the regular season, they finished first in the Big East with a 14-4 record in conference play. In making the Elite Eight, Marquette took down No. 14-seeded Davidson 59-58 in the second round, No. 6-seeded Butler 74-72 in the third round, and then No. 2-seeded Miami (FL) 71-61 in the Sweet Sixteen.
Marquette Game Notes
- Prior to this game, Marquette played 61 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 24-37.
- Marquette set season lows for field goals made (12), field goal percentage (22.6), and total points (39).
- The Golden Eagles have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past seven games.
- Marquette has recorded fewer three-pointers than their opponents for the past five games.
- Vander Blue accounted for 35.8 percent of the team's points.
- Vander Blue has led the team in scoring in 19 out of 35 games this season.
- Davante Gardner has led the team in rebounding in nine out of 35 games this season.
- Vander Blue has seven straight double-digit point games.
Syracuse Game Notes
- Michael Carter-Williams recorded a team season high in defensive rebounds with 11.
- The top two scorers (James Southerland and C.J. Fair) accounted for 52.7 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Michael Carter-Williams and Brandon Triche) accounted for 45.9 percent of the rebounds.
- James Southerland has led the team in scoring 12 times in 39 games this season.
- Michael Carter-Williams has led the team in rebounding five times in 39 games this season.
- C.J. Fair has five straight double-digit point games.
- Michael Carter-Williams recorded the second double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Michael Carter-Williams has three straight double-digit point games.
- Michael Carter-Williams recorded a double-double. It was the 10th of his career.
- Michael Carter-Williams set career highs with 11 rebounds and 11 defensive rebounds.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Baye Keita.