(9) Michigan State 61
(27-9, 6-5 away)
(6) Duke 71
(30-5, 16-0 home)
Venue: Lucas Oil Stadium
9:58PM ET / 6:58PM PT, March 29, 2013
||K Appling 16
||A Payne 10
||G Harris 2
||S Curry 29
||R Kelly 7
||T Thornton 2
On Friday, Mar. 29, No. 3-seeded Michigan State was knocked off by No. 2-seeded Duke 71-61 in the Sweet Sixteen. Adreian Payne earned a double-double for the Spartans with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Derrick Nix also had a decent showing, scoring nine points and adding nine rebounds. For the Blue Devils, Seth Curry finished with a game-high 29 points, including six-of-nine shooting from three-point range. Michigan State closes out the season with a 27-9 record. The Spartans got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Ohio State 61-58 in the Big Ten Tournament. In the regular season, they finished second in the Big Ten with a 13-5 record in conference play. In making the Sweet Sixteen, Michigan State topped No. 14-seeded Valparaiso 65-54 in the second round and then No. 6-seeded Memphis 70-48 in the third round.
Michigan State Game Notes
- The last time MSU started the season 27-9 was 2007.
- Prior to this game, MSU played 71 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 37-34.
- MSU set a season low for assists (six).
- The Spartans have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past five games.
- Michigan State has recorded fewer three-pointers than their opponents for the past seven games.
- The top two scorers (Keith Appling and Adreian Payne) accounted for 49.1 percent of the points.
- Adreian Payne accounted for 30.3 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Keith Appling has led the team in scoring in 16 out of 36 games this season.
- Adreian Payne has led the team in rebounding in 18 out of 36 games this season.
- Adreian Payne recorded the 13th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Adreian Payne recorded a double-double. It was his ninth this season and 10th of his career.
Duke Game Notes
- Seth Curry accounted for 40.8 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly) accounted for 48.2 percent of the rebounds.
- Seth Curry has led the team in scoring 15 times in 35 games this season.
- Mason Plumlee has led the team in rebounding 29 times in 35 games this season.
- This marks the 44th 20-point game of Seth Curry's career.
- Seth Curry has six straight double-digit point games.
- Seth Curry set a career high with six three-pointers.
- Mason Plumlee has 10 straight double-digit point games.