(9) Michigan State 61
(27-9, 6-5 away)
(6) Duke 71
(30-5, 16-0 home)
Venue: Lucas Oil Stadium
9:58PM ET / 6:58PM PT, March 29, 2013
||K Appling 16
||A Payne 10
||G Harris 2
||S Curry 29
||R Kelly 7
||T Thornton 2
No. 2-seeded Duke squared off with No. 3-seeded Michigan State on Friday, Mar. 29 and got the win against the Spartans 71-61 in the Sweet Sixteen. Seth Curry played brilliantly for the Blue Devils and put up a game-high 29 points, shooting six of nine from three-point range. Mason Plumlee also had a strong showing, scoring 14 points and adding seven rebounds. Adreian Payne registered a double-double for the Spartans with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Michigan State wraps up the season with a 27-9 record. The Spartans got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Ohio State 61-58 in the Big Ten Tournament In the regular season, they finished second in the Big Ten with a 13-5 conference record. In making the Sweet Sixteen, Michigan State topped No. 14-seeded Valparaiso 65-54 in the second round and then No. 6-seeded Memphis 70-48 in the third round. Duke (30-5, 14-4 ACC) faces off with Louisville (32-5, 14-4 Big East) in the Elite Eight on Sunday, Mar. 31.
Duke Game Notes
- Duke started 30-5 during the 2009 and 2003 seasons (since 1996).
- The win over Michigan State extended the Duke winning streak to three games.
- Duke beat the spread by eight points. That makes the 19th time this season the Blue Devils have beaten the spread.
- Prior to this game, Duke played 51 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 34-17.
- The Blue Devils have won every game this season (4-0) after recording 24 or more free throws made.
- Duke has won 91 percent of the time this season (10-1) after committing eight or fewer turnovers.
- Duke has won every game this season (9-0) when opponents record 20 or fewer field goals made.
- Duke has won every game this season (14-0) after holding an opponent to under 25.0 percent three-point percentage.
- This season Duke has won 88 percent of the time (23-3) when Mason Plumlee has 14 points or more, 83 percent of the time (5-1) when Seth Curry plays 37 minutes or more, and 100 percent of the time (14-0) when Ryan Kelly has four field goals made or more.
- Duke set season lows for assists (eight) and steals (three).
- The Blue Devils have recorded more blocks than their opponents for the past four games.
- Duke has turned the ball over less than their opponents for the past four games.
- Seth Curry accounted for 40.8 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly) accounted for 48.2 percent of the rebounds.
- Seth Curry has led the team in scoring in 15 out of 35 games this season.
- Mason Plumlee has led the team in rebounding in 29 out of 35 games this season.
- This marks the 44th 20-point game of Seth Curry's career.
- Seth Curry has six straight double-digit point games.
- Seth Curry had a career high with six three-pointers.
- Mason Plumlee has 10 straight double-digit point games.
Michigan State Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Keith Appling and Adreian Payne) accounted for 49.1 percent of the points.
- Adreian Payne accounted for 30.3 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Keith Appling has led the team in scoring 16 times in 36 games this season.
- Adreian Payne has led the team in rebounding 18 times in 36 games this season.
- Adreian Payne recorded the 13th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Adreian Payne recorded a double-double. It was his ninth this season and 10th of his career.