(10) Michigan 87
(29-7, 5-5 away)
(3) Kansas 85
(31-6, 16-1 home)
Venue: Cowboys Stadium
7:37PM ET / 4:37PM PT, March 29, 2013
||M McGary 25
||M McGary 14
||T Burke 10
||B McLemore 20
||J Withey 8
||N Tharpe 7
No. 4-seeded Michigan squared off with No. 1-seeded Kansas on Friday, Mar. 29 and got a slim victory over the Jayhawks 87-85 in overtime in the Sweet Sixteen. Mitch McGary picked up a double-double in the win with a season-high 25 points and 14 rebounds. Trey Burke played his way to a double-double as well with 23 points and 10 assists. For the Jayhawks, Travis Releford finished with 16 points and six assists. Kansas wraps up the season with a 31-6 record. The Jayhawks got to the NCAA Tournament as the Big 12 champion after beating Kansas State 70-54 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished first in the Big 12 with a 14-4 conference record. In making the Sweet Sixteen, Kansas topped No. 16-seeded Western Kentucky 64-57 in the second round and then No. 8-seeded North Carolina 70-58 in the third round. Michigan (29-7, 12-6 Big Ten) plays Florida (28-7, 14-4 SEC) in the Elite Eight on Sunday, Mar. 31.
Michigan Game Notes
- The win over Kansas extended the Michigan winning streak to three games.
- Michigan beat the spread by four points. That makes the 18th time this season the Wolverines have beaten the spread.
- Michigan has played in three overtime games this season. Over the last five seasons, the Wolverines have played in 14 overtime games with a record of 11-3.
- The Wolverines have won five close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Michigan is 28-23 in close games.
- Prior to this game, Michigan played 58 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 16-42.
- The Wolverines have won every game this season (7-0) after recording 87 or more total points.
- Michigan has won 95 percent of the time this season (18-1) when its field goal percentage has been 49.3 percent or better.
- Michigan has won 79 percent of the time this season (15-4) after committing 10 or fewer turnovers.
- Michigan has won 94 percent of the time this season (17-1) when opponents record six or fewer three-pointers.
- This season Michigan has won 79 percent of the time (22-6) when Tim Hardaway Jr has 10 points or more, 86 percent of the time (19-3) when Nik Stauskas has four field goals made or more, and 71 percent of the time (5-2) when Trey Burke has four three-pointers or more.
- This is the seventh win of the season where the Wolverines came back after being down at halftime.
- The top two scorers (Mitch McGary and Trey Burke) accounted for 55.1 percent of the points.
- Mitch McGary accounted for 36.8 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Mitch McGary has led the team in rebounding in 14 out of 36 games this season.
- This marks the 19th 20-point game of Trey Burke's career.
- Trey Burke recorded a double-double. It was the fourth of his career.
- Glenn Robinson III has three straight double-digit point games.
- Tim Hardaway Jr has seven straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the second 20-point game of Mitch McGary's career.
- Mitch McGary has three straight double-digit point games.
- Mitch McGary recorded a double-double. It was the fourth of his career.
Kansas Game Notes
- The Jayhawks have lost three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Kansas is 30-10 in close games.
- The top two scorers (Ben McLemore and Travis Releford) accounted for 42.3 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jeff Withey and Kevin Young) accounted for 42.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Ben McLemore has led the team in scoring 17 times in 37 games this season.
- Jeff Withey has led the team in rebounding 24 times in 37 games this season.
- Travis Releford has three straight double-digit point games.
- Travis Releford set a career high with six assists.
- Jeff Withey has five straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the 11th 20-point game of Ben McLemore's career.
- Kevin Young set a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.
|A||G. Robinson III||42||13||8||1||3||0||2|
|B+||Tim Hardaway Jr||39||10||5||3||0||0||0|