La Salle 58
(24-10, 8-6 away)
Wichita State 72
(29-8, 14-2 home)
Venue: Staples Center
10:32PM ET / 7:32PM PT, March 28, 2013
||T Garland 16
||R Galloway 8
||T Duren 4
||M Armstead 18
||E Orukpe 9
||M Armstead 4
On Thursday, Mar. 28, No. 9-seeded Wichita State got a major victory against No. 13-seeded La Salle 72-58 in the Sweet Sixteen. Malcolm Armstead put on a show for the Shockers and put up a game-high 18 points and six rebounds. Carl Hall had 16 points and added eight rebounds. For the Explorers, Tyrone Garland got 16 points and four rebounds. La Salle wraps up the season with a 24-10 record. The Explorers got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to Butler 69-58 in the A-10 Tournament In the regular season, they finished third in the A-10 with an 11-5 conference record. In making the Sweet Sixteen, La Salle overcame No. 13-seeded Boise State 80-71 in the first round, No. 4-seeded Kansas State 63-61 in the second round, and then No. 12-seeded Ole Miss 76-74 in the third round.
Wichita State Game Notes
- The win over La Salle extended the Wichita State winning streak to three games.
- WSU beat the spread by 10 points. That makes the 20th time this season the Shockers have beaten the spread.
- The Shockers have won every game this season (4-0) after recording 30 or more field goals made.
- Wichita State has won 84 percent of the time this season (16-3) when its field goal percentage has been 44.8 percent or better.
- Wichita State has won 80 percent of the time this season (4-1) after committing eight or fewer turnovers.
- WSU has won every game this season (15-0) after holding an opponent to under 35.7 percent field goal percentage.
- WSU has won 93 percent of the time this season (14-1) when opponents record 58 or fewer total points.
- This season Wichita State has won 82 percent of the time (9-2) when Carl Hall has 16 points or more, 88 percent of the time (22-3) when Cleanthony Early has four field goals made or more, and 83 percent of the time (5-1) when Malcolm Armstead has six rebounds or more.
- The top two scorers (Malcolm Armstead and Carl Hall) accounted for 47.2 percent of the points.
- Malcolm Armstead has led the team in scoring in six out of 37 games this season.
- Ehimen Orukpe has led the team in rebounding in four out of 37 games this season.
- Carl Hall has seven straight double-digit point games.
La Salle Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Jerrell Wright and Tyrone Garland) accounted for 55.1 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Ramon Galloway and Jerrell Wright) accounted for 44.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Jerrell Wright has led the team in scoring four times in 34 games this season.
- Ramon Galloway has led the team in rebounding five times in 34 games this season.
- Ramon Galloway has four straight double-digit point games.
- Tyrone Garland set a career high with four three-pointers.
|B||Fred Van Vleet||18||7||0||2||1||0||0|