(21) Arizona 70
(27-8, 7-4 away)
(7) Ohio State 73
(29-7, 16-2 home)
Venue: Staples Center
7:47PM ET / 4:47PM PT, March 28, 2013
||M Lyons 23
||K Parrom 7
||S Hill 3
||D Thomas 20
||L Smith Jr. 8
||A Craft 5
No. 2-seeded Ohio State nipped No. 6-seeded Arizona 73-70 in the Sweet Sixteen on Thursday, Mar. 28. Aaron Craft led the Buckeyes and put up 13 points and five rebounds. Sam Thompson had 11 points and added eight rebounds. Solomon Hill got 16 points and three rebounds for the Wildcats. Arizona wraps up the season with a 27-8 record. The Wildcats got to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team after falling to UCLA 66-64 in the Pac-12 Tournament In the regular season, they finished fourth in the Pac-12 with a 12-6 conference record. In making the Sweet Sixteen, Arizona outplayed No. 11-seeded Belmont 81-64 in the second round and then No. 14-seeded Harvard 74-51 in the third round.
Ohio State Game Notes
- Ohio State started 29-7 during the 2011 and 2009 seasons (since 1996).
- The win over Arizona extended the Ohio State winning streak to 11 games.
- The Buckeyes have won four close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Ohio State is 26-23 in close games.
- Prior to this game, OSU played 71 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 32-39.
- Ohio State has won every game this season (4-0) when its three-point percentage has been 53.8 percent or better.
- The Buckeyes have won 92 percent of the time this season (11-1) after recording 73 or more total points.
- Ohio State has won 89 percent of the time this season (8-1) after committing eight or fewer turnovers.
- OSU has won 93 percent of the time this season (14-1) when opponents record 30 or fewer rebounds.
- OSU has won 90 percent of the time this season (19-2) after holding an opponent to under 33.3 percent three-point percentage.
- This season Ohio State has won 81 percent of the time (13-3) when Deshaun Thomas has 20 points or more, 74 percent of the time (17-6) when Aaron Craft plays 33 minutes or more, and 100 percent of the time (6-0) when Lenzelle Smith Jr. has eight rebounds or more.
- The Buckeyes have recorded more free throws made than their opponents for the past four games.
- This is the fifth win of the season where the Buckeyes came back after being down at halftime.
- The top two scorers (Deshaun Thomas and LaQuinton Ross) accounted for 50.6 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Sam Thompson and Lenzelle Smith Jr.) accounted for 50.0 percent of the rebounds.
- Deshaun Thomas has led the team in scoring in 28 out of 36 games this season.
- Sam Thompson has led the team in rebounding in three out of 36 games this season.
- This marks the 28th 20-point game of Deshaun Thomas's career.
- Deshaun Thomas has three straight 20+ point games.
Arizona Game Notes
- The Wildcats have lost four times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Arizona is 31-31 in close games.
- Mark Lyons accounted for 32.8 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Nick Johnson and Kevin Parrom) accounted for 46.6 percent of the rebounds.
- Mark Lyons has led the team in scoring 17 times in 35 games this season.
- Nick Johnson set career highs with seven rebounds and seven defensive rebounds.
- This marks the 20th 20-point game of Mark Lyons's career.
- Mark Lyons has three straight 20+ point games.
|B+||L. Smith Jr.||35||6||8||2||1||1||0|