(15) Marquette 71
(26-8, 5-6 away)
(5) Miami 61
(29-7, 14-1 home)
Venue: Verizon Center
7:15PM ET / 4:15PM PT, March 28, 2013
||J Wilson 16
||T Lockett 11
||D Wilson 3
||S Larkin 14
||D Scott 7
||D Scott 5
No. 3-seeded Marquette squared off with No. 2-seeded Miami (FL) on Thursday, Mar. 28 and got a victory over the Hurricanes 71-61 in the Sweet Sixteen. The Golden Eagles were led by Jamil Wilson, who put up a game-high 16 points and eight rebounds. Trent Lockett had eight points and added 11 rebounds. For the Hurricanes, Shane Larkin finished with a team-high 14 points and four rebounds. Miami (FL) wraps up the season with a 29-7 record. The Hurricanes got to the NCAA Tournament as the ACC champion after beating North Carolina 87-77 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished first in the ACC with a 15-3 conference record. In making the Sweet Sixteen, Miami (FL) got the best of No. 15-seeded Pacific 78-49 in the second round and then No. 7-seeded Illinois 63-59 in the third round. Marquette (26-8, 14-4 Big East) plays To Be Announced in the Elite Eight on Saturday, Mar. 30.
Marquette Game Notes
- The last time Marquette started the season 26-8 was 2001.
- The win over Miami (FL) extended the Marquette winning streak to three games.
- Marquette beat the spread by 15.5 points. That makes the 14th time this season the Golden Eagles have beaten the spread.
- Prior to this game, Marquette played 60 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 23-37.
- Marquette has won every game this season (6-0) when its field goal percentage has been 54.0 percent or better.
- The Golden Eagles have won every game this season (19-0) after recording 14 or more assists.
- Marquette has won 90 percent of the time this season (9-1) after committing 11 or fewer turnovers.
- Marquette has won every game this season (11-0) when opponents record nine or fewer free throws made.
- Marquette has won 86 percent of the time this season (6-1) after holding an opponent to under 34.9 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Marquette has won 79 percent of the time (15-4) when Vander Blue has 14 points or more, 100 percent of the time (11-0) when Davante Gardner has five field goals made or more, and 100 percent of the time (8-0) when Junior Cadougan has four free throws made or more.
- The Golden Eagles have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past six games.
- Marquette has recorded fewer three-pointers than their opponents for the past four games.
- The top two scorers (Jamil Wilson and Vander Blue) accounted for 42.2 percent of the points.
- Trent Lockett accounted for 30.5 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Jamil Wilson has led the team in scoring in eight out of 34 games this season.
- Trent Lockett has led the team in rebounding in 11 out of 34 games this season.
- Vander Blue has six straight double-digit point games.
- Trent Lockett recorded the ninth double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jamil Wilson has eight straight double-digit point games.
- Jamil Wilson had a career high with eight defensive rebounds.
Miami (FL) Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Shane Larkin and Kenny Kadji) accounted for 40.9 percent of the points.
- Shane Larkin has led the team in scoring 13 times in 36 games this season.
- Durand Scott has led the team in rebounding four times in 36 games this season.
- Shane Larkin has 12 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the fourth foul out of the season for Durand Scott.
|-||S. Taylor Jr.||3||0||0||1||0||0||1|