Brigham Young vs. Baylor: Full Game Preview
|Brigham Young||T Haws 21.6||B Davies 8.1||M Carlino 4.7|
|Baylor||P Jackson 19.7||I Austin 8.3||P Jackson 6.9|
No. 2-seeded Baylor battles No. 3-seeded Brigham Young in the semifinals of the NIT at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday. It gets started at 7 p.m. ET and it can be seen on ESPN 2. The Bears defeated the Cougars 79-64 on Dec. 21 and are 2-0 against them over the past four years.
In a 79-68 triumph over Providence on Mar. 27, Cory Jefferson put up 26 points for the Bears. He leads the team in blocks per game with 2.0 while also putting up 12.8 points per game. For the Cougars, Brock Zylstra put up 23 points and 10 rebounds in the 79-62 win over Southern Miss on Mar. 27. He contributes 4.1 rebounds per game in addition to his 7.7 points per game. From a tempo-free perspective, Brigham Young is strong in the following categories: turnover percentage at 16.9 and defensive rebounding percentage at 72.5.
Brigham Young StatSmack
- Over the past 5 years, Baylor has had more players drafted by the NBA than Brigham Young (four vs. two).
- Last year the worst team in the Big 12 had a higher RPI than the worst team in the West Coast (No. 235 vs. No. 294).
- Even computers respect Baylor more. Baylor has a better RPI this season than Brigham Young (RPI: No. 61 vs. No. 68).
- A for effort, but Baylor has emerged victorious against Brigham Young the last two times they've played.
- Last year the Big 12 lost fewer non-conference blowout games than the West Coast (two vs. 11).
- The Big 12 has a much better average team RPI than the West Coast (88 vs. 129).
- Baylor has a stronger schedule than Brigham Young this season (SOS Rank: No. 18 vs. No. 101).
- Since 1998, Baylor has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Brigham Young (seven vs. one).
- The Big 12 has 2 teams - Kansas (6.7) and Texas (4.8) - that produce more blocks per game than the West Coast leader, Santa Clara (4.8).
- Last year the best team in the Big 12 had a much higher RPI than the best team in the West Coast (No. 5 vs. No. 25).
- The Baylor rebounding leader (Cory Jefferson, 255 rebounds) has more rebounds than the Brigham Young rebounding leader (Brandon Davies, 250 rebounds).