Brigham Young 79
(24-11, 7-5 away)
Southern Miss 62
(27-10, 14-2 home)
Venue: Reed Green Coliseum
8:00PM ET / 5:00PM PT, March 27, 2013
||T Haws 25
||B Davies 13
||M Carlino 9
||D Boardingham 18
||J Mills 15
||N Watson 6
No. 1-seeded Southern Miss was destroyed by No. 3-seeded Brigham Young 79-62 in the quarterfinals of the NIT on an evening when the Cougars scored 33 points from behind the arc. Neil Watson put up nine points and six assists for the Golden Eagles. Daveon Boardingham had a team-high 18 points and added five rebounds. Brock Zylstra registered a double-double for the Cougars with a season-high 23 points and 10 rebounds. He made five of nine from three-point range. Southern Miss closes out the season with a 27-10 record. In the regular season, they finished second in Conference USA with a 12-4 record in conference play. In making the quarterfinals, Southern Miss beat No. 8-seeded Charleston Southern 78-71 in the first round and then No. 5-seeded Louisiana Tech 63-52 in the second round.
Southern Miss Game Notes
- Southern Miss has lost 83 percent of the time this season (1-5) after recording nine or fewer assists.
- When the opposition records 29 or more field goals made this season, Southern Miss has lost 100 percent of the time (0-4).
- When the opposition records 24 or more assists this season, Southern Miss has lost 100 percent of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records 79 or more total points this season, Southern Miss has lost 83 percent of the time (1-5).
- USM set a season low for field goal percentage (33.3).
- Southern Miss has recorded fewer three-pointers than their opponents for the past five games.
- This is the 16th game at home this season--USM has a 19.3 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Jonathan Mills recorded a team season high in offensive rebounds with eight.
- The top two scorers (Daveon Boardingham and Jerrold Brooks) accounted for 50.0 percent of the points.
- Jonathan Mills accounted for 36.5 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Daveon Boardingham has led the team in scoring in four out of 37 games this season.
- Jonathan Mills has led the team in rebounding in 21 out of 37 games this season.
- Jerrold Brooks has six straight double-digit point games.
- Jonathan Mills recorded the 15th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jonathan Mills had a career high with eight offensive rebounds.
Brigham Young Game Notes
- Matt Carlino recorded a team season high in three pointers attempted with 11.
- Tyler Haws accounted for 31.6 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Brandon Davies and Brock Zylstra) accounted for 48.9 percent of the rebounds.
- Tyler Haws has led the team in scoring 20 times in 35 games this season.
- Brandon Davies has led the team in rebounding 24 times in 35 games this season.
- Matt Carlino has five straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the 28th 20-point game of Tyler Haws's career.
- Tyler Haws has five straight 20+ point games.
- This marks the fifth 20-point game of Brock Zylstra's career.
- Brock Zylstra recorded a double-double. It was the first of his career.
- Brock Zylstra set career highs with 10 rebounds and eight defensive rebounds.
- Brandon Davies recorded the 24th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Brandon Davies has 19 straight double-digit point games.
- Brandon Davies recorded a double-double. It was his 11th this season and 24th of his career.
- Nate Austin set a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.