Brigham Young 79
(24-11, 7-5 away)
Southern Miss 62
(27-10, 14-2 home)
Venue: Reed Green Coliseum
8:00PM ET / 5:00PM PT, March 27, 2013
||T Haws 25
||B Davies 13
||M Carlino 9
||D Boardingham 18
||J Mills 15
||N Watson 6
No. 3-seeded Brigham Young trounced No. 1-seeded Southern Miss 79-62 in the quarterfinals of the NIT on a night when they scored 33 points from behind the arc. Brock Zylstra secured a double-double in the Cougars win including a season-high 23 points and 10 rebounds. He was five for nine from three-point range. Tyler Haws picked up his fifth straight game with 20 points or more, scoring a game-high 25 points (5 Reb 4 Ast) in 38 minutes. For the Golden Eagles, Neil Watson got nine points and six assists. Southern Miss wraps up the season with a 27-10 record. In the regular season, they finished second in Conference USA with a 12-4 conference record. In making the quarterfinals, Southern Miss overcame No. 8-seeded Charleston Southern 78-71 in the first round and then No. 5-seeded Louisiana Tech 63-52 in the second round.
Brigham Young Game Notes
- The win over Southern Miss extended the Brigham Young winning streak to three games.
- BYU beat the spread by 22.5 points. That makes the 18th time this season the Cougars have beaten the spread.
- The Cougars have won every game this season (18-0) after recording 29 or more field goals made.
- Brigham Young has won 91 percent of the time this season (10-1) when its three-point percentage has been 40.7 percent or better.
- BYU has won every game this season (11-0) when opponents record 62 or fewer total points.
- BYU has won 83 percent of the time this season (5-1) after holding an opponent to under 23.5 percent three-point percentage.
- This season Brigham Young has won 89 percent of the time (8-1) when Matt Carlino has 15 points or more, 73 percent of the time (11-4) when Brandon Davies plays 33 minutes or more, and 100 percent of the time (5-0) when Tyler Haws has 11 field goals made or more.
- The Cougars set a season high for three-pointers (11).
- The last time BYU recorded at least 11 three-pointers was Feb 11, 2012 against Pepperdine.
- The Cougars have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past six games.
- Matt Carlino recorded a team season high in three pointers attempted with 11.
- Tyler Haws accounted for 31.6 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Brandon Davies and Brock Zylstra) accounted for 48.9 percent of the rebounds.
- Tyler Haws has led the team in scoring in 20 out of 35 games this season.
- Brandon Davies has led the team in rebounding in 24 out of 35 games this season.
- Matt Carlino has five straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the 28th 20-point game of Tyler Haws's career.
- Tyler Haws has five straight 20+ point games.
- This marks the fifth 20-point game of Brock Zylstra's career.
- Brock Zylstra recorded a double-double. It was the first of his career.
- Brock Zylstra had career highs with 10 rebounds and eight defensive rebounds.
- Brandon Davies recorded the 24th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Brandon Davies has 19 straight double-digit point games.
- Brandon Davies recorded a double-double. It was his 11th this season and 24th of his career.
- Nate Austin had a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.
Southern Miss Game Notes
- Jonathan Mills recorded a team season high in offensive rebounds with eight.
- The top two scorers (Daveon Boardingham and Jerrold Brooks) accounted for 50.0 percent of the points.
- Jonathan Mills accounted for 36.5 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Daveon Boardingham has led the team in scoring four times in 37 games this season.
- Jonathan Mills has led the team in rebounding 21 times in 37 games this season.
- Jerrold Brooks has six straight double-digit point games.
- Jonathan Mills recorded the 15th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jonathan Mills set a career high with eight offensive rebounds.