Providence vs. Baylor: Full Game Preview
|Providence||B Cotton 19.6||L Henton 8.3||V Council 7.0|
|Baylor||P Jackson 19.7||I Austin 8.5||P Jackson 6.7|
No. 4-seeded Providence battles No. 2-seeded Baylor in the quarterfinals of the NIT at Ferrell Center on Wednesday. It gets started at 9 p.m. ET and you can see it on ESPN 2. The Friars last played the Bears on Nov. 27, 2008 and lost 72-56.
In a 77-68 triumph over Robert Morris on Mar. 25, LaDontae Henton put up 21 points and six rebounds for the Friars. He tallies 13.4 points per game in addition to a team-best 8.3 rebounds per game. For the Bears, Pierre Jackson put up 26 points and 16 assists in the 89-86 win over Arizona State on Mar. 22. With 19.7 points per game and 6.7 assists per game, he has team-best marks in both categories.
There is one important category where Baylor has a statistical edge, scoring, where the Bears have the upper hand over the Friars, 75.9 points per game to 67.6 points per game. Baylor ranks second in their conference in turnover percentage at 17.7, which also places them 54th in the country.
- The top-ranking players between the two conferences for rebounds, field goals made, free throws made, three-pointers, assists, steals, and blocks are in the Big East.
- The Providence rebounding leader (LaDontae Henton, 259 rebounds) has more rebounds than the Baylor rebounding leader (Cory Jefferson, 255 rebounds).
- The Big East has 3 teams - Louisville (10.7), Syracuse (9.1), and DePaul (8.3) - that create more steals per game than the Big 12 leader, Texas Tech (8.1).
- The Providence basketball team finishes what they start, with a better graduation rate than Baylor (80 percent vs. 38 percent).
- The Big East had more close games in conference (so the games are more exciting to watch) than in the Big 12.
- Diaper Dandies love Providence. Providence has recruited more McDonald's All-Americans out of high school than Baylor (4 vs. 3).
- The Big East has had three more Final Four teams than the Big 12 over the past 5 years.
- The Big East has had 19 more NCAA Tournament teams than the Big 12 over the past 10 years.
- The Big East has had three more NBA Draft picks than the Big 12 over the past 10 years.
- Providence has a much higher 4-year graduation rate than Baylor according to Kiplinger (84.4 percent vs. 47.4 percent).
- Providence players are more experienced than Baylor players (15,497 minutes played vs. 13,514 minutes played).