Brigham Young vs. Southern Miss: Full Game Preview
|Brigham Young||T Haws 21.5||B Davies 7.9||M Carlino 4.6|
|Southern Miss||D Davis 16.3||J Mills 7.9||N Watson 4.9|
No. 3-seeded Brigham Young battles No. 1-seeded Southern Miss in the quarterfinals of the NIT at Reed Green Coliseum on Wednesday. It gets started at 8 p.m. ET and you can see it on ESPN U.
In a 90-71 dismantling of Mercer on Mar. 25, Brandon Davies put up 26 points and 10 rebounds for the Cougars. He leads the team in rebounds with 7.9 per game and blocks with 1.0 per game. For the Golden Eagles, Jonathan Mills finished with 10 points and eight rebounds in the 63-52 win over Louisiana Tech on Mar. 25. He averages 9.4 points per game in addition to a team-best 7.9 rebounds per game. Southern Miss will hope to exploit their strengths, which include: offensive rebounding percentage at 39.8 and effective field goal percentage at 54.4.
Southern Miss StatSmack
- The Brigham Young steals leader (Matt Carlino, 59 steals) has more steals than the Southern Miss steals leader (Neil Watson, 51 steals).
- Brigham Young is taller. The average height of the top 8 players on Brigham Young is 77.6 inches compared to 75.4 inches for Southern Miss.
- Southern Miss has been ducking Brigham Young for over 30 years.
- Brigham Young has more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Southern Miss (eight vs. one).
- Over the past 10 years, Brigham Young has had more players drafted by the NBA than Southern Miss (four vs. zero).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Brigham Young currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (985 to 922) than Southern Miss, per the NCAA.
- AP voters think more highly of Brigham Young and ranked them in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than Southern Miss (65 vs. two).
- Tyler Haws is ranked 9th nationally in points.
- Brigham Young has more wins over the last 5 years than Southern Miss (161 vs. 124).