(22) Creighton 50
(28-8, 7-5 away)
(6) Duke 66
(29-5, 16-0 home)
Venue: Wells Fargo Center
9:48PM ET / 6:48PM PT, March 24, 2013
||D McDermott 21
||D McDermott 9
||G Gibbs 4
||R Sulaimon 21
||T Thornton 6
||Q Cook 6
No. 2-seeded Duke squared off with No. 7-seeded Creighton on Sunday, Mar. 24 and won big against the Bluejays 66-50 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. Rasheed Sulaimon led the Blue Devils and put up a game-high 21 points and five rebounds. Tyler Thornton had eight points and added six rebounds. For the Bluejays, Doug McDermott got a team-high 21 points and nine rebounds. Creighton wraps up the season with a 28-8 record. The Bluejays got to the NCAA Tournament as the Missouri Valley champion after beating Wichita State 68-65 in the conference championship. In the regular season, they finished first in the Missouri Valley with a 13-5 conference record. Creighton topped No. 10-seeded Cincinnati 67-63 in the second round. Duke (29-5, 14-4 ACC) takes on No. 3-seeded Michigan State (27-8, 13-5 Big Ten) in the Sweet Sixteen on Friday, Mar. 29.
Duke Game Notes
- Duke started 29-5 during the 2009 and 2003 seasons (since 1996).
- Duke beat the spread by 10.5 points. That makes the 18th time this season the Blue Devils have beaten the spread.
- Prior to this game, Duke played 50 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 33-17.
- The Blue Devils have won every game this season (8-0) after recording 21 or more free throws made.
- Duke has won 83 percent of the time this season (10-2) after committing nine or fewer turnovers.
- Duke has won every game this season (5-0) when opponents record 50 or fewer total points.
- Duke has won every game this season (5-0) after holding an opponent to under 10.5 percent three-point percentage.
- This season Duke has won 87 percent of the time (27-4) when Mason Plumlee has 10 points or more, 83 percent of the time (20-4) when Quinn Cook plays 33 minutes or more, and 86 percent of the time (18-3) when Seth Curry has five field goals made or more.
- Duke set a season low for field goals made (19).
- Rasheed Sulaimon accounted for 31.8 percent of the team's points.
- Rasheed Sulaimon has led the team in scoring in four out of 34 games this season.
- Seth Curry has five straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the third 20-point game of Rasheed Sulaimon's career.
- Mason Plumlee has nine straight double-digit point games.
- This was the third foul out of the season for Mason Plumlee.
- Tyler Thornton had career highs with a 100 percent field goal percentage and a 100 percent three-point percentage.
- This was the fifth foul out of the season for Josh Hairston.
Creighton Game Notes
- Doug McDermott recorded a team season high in free throws made with 12.
- Doug McDermott accounted for 42.0 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Doug McDermott and Gregory Echenique) accounted for 45.4 percent of the rebounds.
- Doug McDermott has led the team in scoring 29 times and in rebounding 21 times in 36 games this season.
- This marks the 56th 20-point game of Doug McDermott's career.
- Doug McDermott has 12 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Doug McDermott.
- This was the third foul out of the season for Grant Gibbs.